Logo

Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI - Issue with fuel pressure. Replacement of fuel pump (high-pressure only?)

Nygter

Greetings :)

I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI Engine, and have issues with the engine stops (sorry for the "non-technical" terms, due to incompentency in engines and stuff) even when running stable on about 2000 RPM..

I'm trying to not spend all my money repairs and services and troubleshooting, but i've heard that the easiest solution is to replace the fuel pump. Thing is.. the complete fuel pump is _extremely_ expensive (around 1.200 euro's), so one guy told me that it's probably the pressure which is the issue, so therefore.. i should try to get a "High-pressure pump" and replace only that one..

I have found several at Ebay around 100 dollars, but they charge shockingly around 150 dollars for shipping from USA to Norway !! (eek!)..

So.. does anyone have any tips for me here ? Anyone know a good place to buy parts like this ? And... would you try first to switch the high-pressure pump which is... a lot cheaper than replacing the whole thing..

Terje :)

What year is the engine? How many hours on the engine? You should be able to test the fuel pump pressure, both on the low and high side before you start replacing parts. Also check the ignition system. I would start by testing the ignition coil and the ignition module. Often the coil will start to break down and cause a no-start/hard-start condition when the engine is warm.

....and Did this engine ever run"right" for you? How old is the cap/rotor? I don't know about the system on that engine, but my high voltage pointless standard Thunderbolt V ignition only gets 2 good seasons on the cap and rotor here in coastal New Jersey , never a whole 3rd. It goes from runs fine to total crap quite abruptly. No saying its not a fuel issue, but per "monterey262" check ignition while you are at it.... Check water seperator. Even though you aren't likely "blessed" with ethanol marine fuel, an environment with warmish days and cool nights leads to water in the gas, ethanol or not. For some small amount of water in the fuel, ethanol is actually good, however things get funky pretty fast. My pre-ethanol boats all had water seperators with a drainable bowl.

Back