Logo

Relocateing ray marine dragonfly5 pro for improved GPS position fix.

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
Relocateing ray marine dragonfly5 pro for improved GPS position fix.

I realley like my first real sounder/GPS combo the downvision is especially detailed
Kindoff like low definition TV.

GPS tracks signal 20% of time remaining 80% GPS alarm lose position fix every couple minutes the audio can’t be adjusted.

When lose position fix occurs I lose speedo reading (I have yet to find the speedo waterport on engine).

The aluminum hardtop has obstructed the upward line of sight to sky, GPS is apparentely
Receiving un obstructed signal though windows from horizon doe’s this about right?

I can’t relocate pro5 much in starboard direction w/out also relcating gear select/throttle.

Relocateing forth mite work.

I’m in the process of extending forth the aluminum hardtop maybe a pro5 peephole made of plexieglass incorpuated into top will provide unobstructed upward line of sight to sky.

edit I'm not interested in spending a small fortune on sounder w/ extrenal antenna.
Thanks STB

Attachments

• raymarine1.jpg
    raymarine1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Not to be mean but I'd say you didn't do too well in following the directions....and the peep hole won't resolve it either....

I'd say you have two choices: 1) get rid of the aluminum hardtop (or replace it with a good cloth like sunbrella) or 2) get an external antenna.

The satellites are always moving so the GPS antenna really needs an unobstructed view of the sky.

looks like I"m forced to mount the dragonfly5 pro outside in front of windshield ?

it will be a reach to press buttons however I usalley set to downvision and leave it.

then use my andriod tablets GPS for chart plotting it actualley works under hardtop.

the ability to WIFI stream to ten inch portable tablet sold me on the
dragonfly5 pro .

if it continues to
GPS alarm lose position fix then pro5 must be defective.
TB

update I relocated the pro5 forward up agaist the windshield inside , cruised around about a hour GPS position wasn't lost during this time plan to move permamentely.
TB

Attachments

• moved forth.jpg
    moved forth.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Back