Logo

1985 50hp 2 stroke 4cyl No Spark

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. Long story short, restored a 1969 13' boston whaler and stuck this 50 on the back. After 2 years of work, finally put in for splash-down and had 20 mins of bliss. Was giving the motor throttle and it stopped responding (I thought it was a bad throttle cable/connection) so I turned her around and the motor cut out. Got her home and tested compression, fuel, spark.

Compression was 110 (cold test, neutral throttle) PSI in all 4 cylinders so that was a good sign. Fuel looked good, bulb was firm and had fuel in the carbs. Turns out I have no spark. I pulled the 20A fuse and it was blown so I replaced it, but still no spark after replacing the fuse. I tested the continuity of the fuse holder through the #8 hole in the wiring harness and left side of fuse, and the red wire at the rectifier to the right side of the fuse holder and that checked out. The stator test (seloc manual) read 6.6x10^3 ohms for Blue -> Blue/White wire, 80 ohms for Red -> Red/White wire. Both blue and red had no continuity to ground. I disconnected the Black/Yellow wire from swtichbox to bypass the mercury switch and still had no spark. Trigger test read Brown ->White/Black at 940 ohms and White -> Violet at 950 ohms. I cleaned all the ground and tested the first ignition coil and that checked out as well.

Could it be anything OTHER than the switchbox at this point? Seems like my only option is to replace that and see what happens. I appreciate any and all advice, hope to be back on the water soon.

Thanks. I was thinking about disconnecting the wiring harness and jumping the battery to the starter solenoid to rule out the wiring harness itself.

Back