Logo

What does Honda put for Anodes

I have a 2017 Honda 4 stoke 115 hp. And a 2017 Lund. I do fresh water mostly and do tidal water more than direct salt water. My question is How can I tell which anode was installed. Mag. Zinc or alum. What's Honda normal practice for anodes. I see plenty of Honda's out in salt water. Now is Aluminum best for both fresh and salt. And I have an aluminum boat also. I always have flushed and wash my boat if its salt or mixed. This was my normal practice from my other boats in the past with no issues.

Thanks

I looked high and low on Honda's website. Does not specify which type just says sacrificial anodes. Could be any of the three. Hope your right that it is Aluminum. Thanks for the pdf interesting.

Don't know about your 115, but on my 2007 BF 225, the three external anodes (2 on each side of the leg, and one big one on the bottom of the stern bracket) are zinc and the four internal anodes in the exhaust manifolds are aluminum alloy.

I've been told that one should never mix anode types, but when I had the internal aluminum anodes replaced at 1500 hours of all saltwater operation, they were not in too bad shape. Mechanic said I had at least another 500 hours on them.

Regarding Zinc, Magnesium, or Alum anodes. The weight would give a good indication of the type of metal composition.
Honda would not use Magnesium anodes on a new motor since they are not suitable for salt water.
If the anodes were heavy e.g. about the same weight as steel, they would be Zinc.
If they were considerably lighter than steel e.g. less than half the weight, they would be Alum.

Bob

Last edited:
Back