Logo

1978 Evinrude 85hp electrical help

First be aware that I ordered the wrong shop manual (thinking I had a 1968/9) and probably won't see the cash to get the right one til next month's VA pay and buy it again!

I was dealt a very BAD blow by an unscrupulous mechanic and now my entire ignition has been sabotaged because objected to a $500 20 minute diagnostic fee! (Of which I was never quoted or approved)! AND
I checked it prior to taking it to him; And now I need to install a complete new modern ignition starter switch system and hope someone here can work me up a simple wiring diagram from the dash to the battery and starter using the new components pictured below; (I have tons of long wires of various colors and every necessary tool)! Please look at the new switches pictured below and the old switch is located on the shift control box and has been disabled!

(next job is a coil pack)

Here are the new switches pictured below below!

key_switch.jpgbutton_front.jpgbutton side.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I know of what you speak... been following you. No need to install that stuff you pictured... a standard 6 terminal ignition switch as used in the 70's, 80's, 90's whenever would replace all of that. Wait until you get the proper 1978 85hp Evinrude/Johnson service manual which will have a electrical diagram within it, then go from there.

The ignition switch (6 screw termianals) is part number 393001 superseded up to 508180 ---> 392996, available at dealerships, marine stores, etc.

I juts checked to see if I had that 1978 85hp diagram... no such luck. Perhaps another member can provide it for you.

If you are talking about replacing the factory switch, I am opposed because getting the control box apart where the original is at presents a problem of getting it apart to get to the switch. I would rather get this safety systen together so if I should be thrown away from the pilots seat it will withdraw the cut-off key attached to my wrist!

Last edited:
a safety cut out/ kill switch can be added to anything, even your own remote box. its just a simple 2 wire job. black eatrth and I think on yours maybe yellow and black wire ? not sure will have to look that up.

when you say sabotaged, what exactly is wrong with original key switch ?

OK The big round switch is "the start button" but will not work unless the safety key is inserted to complete the battery connection!

I tried but the control box "is not something I can disassemble without detailed instructions; it seems the screws are hard to find at a glance. The current key worked when turned until that guy had his hands on it (he told me he bypassed it at the motor, when testing the coil pack) now the key turns but no contact to the starter!

Again OK, if I do put in that (6 screw terminal) you mentioned I would rather have it as a dash mount (not the control box next to the pilot seat) too awkward and unsafe in an emergency. And, I realize that a battery ground disconnect can be put anywhere as long as it's wired between the battery and the ignition system ground or switch ground!

I just thought that my idea would be a simple diagram not involving more than 4 or 5 wires between starter, battery and switch.. Didn't mean to open a pandora's box of original or complicated wiring questions. SORRY !

Last edited:
woah there cowboy, never be sorry about asking questions, he who dont ask will never know ..

first of all when fitting the battery isolator switch, put it on the positive side, not the earth lead.

now if you want too away with all the electrical in the box its not a problem and that can be shown you dead easy.

give me ins and ill get a diagram of the key switch and box.

ok your control is possibly this one for that year, or might be newer shape. you should have the big red plug at engine end.

below Is a few pics that might help you see what you need. to do.

Attachments

• control box 2.jpg
    control box 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 133
  • outboard_wiring_diagram.jpg
    outboard_wiring_diagram.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 173
  • REMCONTBOX.jpg
    REMCONTBOX.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 374
Back