Logo

Engine Survey question

Brownie289

Contributing Member
Hello:
i am purchasing a used Egg Harbor that has Crusader engines.
The boat has been used in the north east in salt water. It is freshwater cooled. They have 850 hours.

my question is what should I be looking for during the inspection of these engines? I understand risers need replacement every 4 years.

I would think also signs of regular maintenance, clean engine bay, condition of belts, hoses etc.
Thank you.

a regularly updated log book would be ideal, with the maintenance actions in it.....

An oil analysis and a compression test would be a minimum.

I've always tapped into the manifold vacuum port to check for the health of an engine. An engine is a large vacuum making device and a healthy vacuum is indicative of healthy compression. As a matter of fact, I have a helm mounted vacuum gauge and I use it as a "fuel flow" meter or sorts as when I'm at a certain vacuum I know I'm in the secondaries and am eating up the gas. It will also tell you about your valve springs etc. It's worth doing.

I also have an Egg with Crusaders. What year Boat? I have the model 350 (454) engines. They are very stout and reliable. Compression check is the most important thing to do as well as sea trial so you know the engines are reaching proper RPM's and also keeping within cooling temps.

Hello:
i am purchasing a used Egg Harbor that has Crusader engines.
The boat has been used in the north east in salt water. It is freshwater cooled. They have 850 hours.

my question is what should I be looking for during the inspection of these engines? I understand risers need replacement every 4 years.

I would think also signs of regular maintenance, clean engine bay, condition of belts, hoses etc.
Thank you.

Perhaps you meant to say elbows!
Whether installed in an "Open" or Closed" system, Elbows are always seawater cooled, so replacing Elbows every 4 years or so would be a good idea.

Replacement of the Risers/Spacers will depend on how they are plumbed.
If the Riser/Spacer has been used to create an ethylene glycol coolant retun from the exhaust manifold, then they will go for years and years.

If the Riser/Spacer is blocked off from the manifold, and has been used to direct spent seawater up to the elbow...... then yes...... every 4 years or so!

I also have an Egg with Crusaders. What year Boat? I have the model 350 (454) engines. They are very stout and reliable. Compression check is the most important thing to do as well as sea trial so you know the engines are reaching proper RPM's and also keeping within cooling temps.
Thank you it is a 1986 with 454 engines, we are doing a sea trial so proper RPM's and cooling temps thank you.
One engine has been replaced with a used engine 450 hours (because of a spun bearing) the other engine is original and has 850 hours.
Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps you meant to say elbows!
Whether installed in an "Open" or Closed" system, Elbows are always seawater cooled, so replacing Elbows every 4 years or so would be a good idea.

Replacement of the Risers/Spacers will depend on how they are plumbed.
If the Riser/Spacer has been used to create an ethylene glycol coolant retun from the exhaust manifold, then they will go for years and years.

If the Riser/Spacer is blocked off from the manifold, and has been used to direct spent seawater up to the elbow...... then yes...... every 4 years or so!

Yes I am sure you are right, sorry new to this getting my terms mixed up. I hope there are good records so I can tell when the elbows have been replaced.

When you say you will check for proper temperatures, you should insure your surveyor has an IR temperature gun. If not, you should buy one (you will need it anyway if you keep the boat), or better yet find a surveyor that is properly equipped. When you are at temperature he should make (and record) readings off of each elbow, coolant and raw water temperatures into and out of the heat exchanger, and metal temp next to the temperature sender (to insure gauges are correct). Insure he can explain temperatures differences between engines on any of these.

When you say you will check for proper temperatures, you should insure your surveyor has an IR temperature gun. If not, you should buy one (you will need it anyway if you keep the boat), or better yet find a surveyor that is properly equipped. When you are at temperature he should make (and record) readings off of each elbow, coolant and raw water temperatures into and out of the heat exchanger, and metal temp next to the temperature sender (to insure gauges are correct). Insure he can explain temperatures differences between engines on any of these.
Great idea! I do own one..

I don't know any surveyors these days who don't use an IR gun.

Back