Logo

Nissan NS70AS 70 hp

pgorrell

I am looking at purchasing a Nissan 70 hp motor. It is a late 80's early 90's model. Anything I should make sure to look for before purchasing besides compression. Not sure about the 2 cylinder and it being a 70 hps. I am wanting to put it on to my pontoon that currently has a 50 hp evinrude.

It's an oldie. Getting a bit obsolete. Nice throttle response: with just 2 cylinders, the mass is low. No wp kits available, but bare impellers are. No carb kits available, but a few carb parts are. CD boxes are still available. Beware the money pit.

I'm not sure of what the NS70AS model is but I have a NS70C that at the moment can't be repaired because the magnets on the flywheel have come loose. I've been told that the flywheels on ANY motor with bonded magnet based magneto should be pulled and inspected every couple of years to prevent (?) this but at what cost? Check my post under FLYWHEEL MAGNETS if you want a fuller explanation.

do yourself a big favour and steer clear of any tohatsu unless its under 10 years old.
I contacted tohatsu in japan and they cold not tell me the simple wiring diagram of a 2 year old motor, everything over 10 years get deleted by tohatsu

do yourself a big favour and steer clear of any tohatsu unless its under 10 years old.
I contacted tohatsu in japan and they cold not tell me the simple wiring diagram of a 2 year old motor, everything over 10 years get deleted by tohatsu

Bull.

The wiring diagram of older motors is right in the owners manuals, which are online.
The issue with all Japanese motors, and now domestics as well, is that they sub-out all the small bits -- carbs, electrical motors, etc. When models change, the subs drop that product. Sucks for older units, but that is the current way things are going. Try to get alternator magnets for a 1980 Ford. Same thing.

I am looking at purchasing a Nissan 70 hp motor. It is a late 80's early 90's model. Anything I should make sure to look for before purchasing besides compression. Not sure about the 2 cylinder and it being a 70 hps. I am wanting to put it on to my pontoon that currently has a 50 hp evinrude.
I have the same motor and I'm trying to find out what it is selling for

Back