Logo

1960 18HP ... Moving good parts from over heated Engine over to a new Engine

wadeatl

Several months back I changed my impeller on our 1960 18HP and we took it out without insuring the pump was working (yes I know .. not good). In the end the lower rubber grommet was bent over on the copper tube. The motor overheated and we lost compression. Fast forward .. we were able to find another 1960 18HP locally with good compression 95psi in both cylinders. My thought process all along was to move over the carb that recently had a carb kit and a new fuel pump to the new engine. I thought for sure it would fire right up .. but no. Next it was time to test the spark. So tested the spark and both pulled great spark at 1/4". Next step was to check the points and timing. While adjusting the upper cylinder points I noticed the hold down screw was stripped and there was no way to hold the points in place. So I pulled the entire ignition system off the old 18HP and put on the new (to us) motor. Again .. I thought for sure it would power right up ... but no.

When I go to start her .. she act like she is going to start on the first pull. After that nothing .. after 4-5 pulls I start to see gas dripping out of the exhaust port onto the ground. I have tried multiple times with choke .. no choke .. the throttle in different positions and in the end no go.

So two thoughts .. one is that I kept the top side of the carb from from the new (to us) motor. I pulled the low speed needle .. sprayed carb cleaner in the low speed jet hole .. added a new cork gasket .. screwed it in to lightly closed and out 1.5 turns. I also made sure the float was level when swapping parts. So thats one thought .. could there be something else in the top side of the carb that I should have cleaned or modified? Second thought is the new (to us) engine has a different shut-off button/switch .. could the switch be bad? My thought is if the switch was bad I would not get spark?

I appreciate any help or guidance!

Back