Logo

1966 60hp stalls in low idle

Dzp111

Hi, my 60hp (vx-12, 1966) stalls in low idle (runs fine otherwise). I tried adjusting low speed needles but to no avail (unless I'm doing it wrong).

I removed the needles for inspection and there's hardly any wear on them although the washers are pretty messed up. Will new washers alone fix the problem? What other type of troubleshooting should I consider?

Thanks

Daniel

Just did compression test. Not good: 90, 35, 30, 30.

But, I changed rubber washers on slow speed needles and it started right away purring like a kitten, at low idle. I was amazed!

Rode at slow speed for about 5 minutes and just as I was to increase throttle, it died. Tried restarting it but no go. Thought battery had died. Went to hand crank it and the motor seems seized!! Rode back home with the electric motor : (

Yep, the motor's seized now, can't budge the flywheel.

grr..

In nuetral ?----Checked recoil interlock ?---Did you install a new impeller?--------Mixing gas and oil at 50:1 ratio ?-----Checked lower unit gear oil ?

Yep, in neutral. Thanks for tip on the recoil interlock, will do that in the morning. Gas and oil ratio is good.

Why would I replace impeller? Will check that too.

Thanks.

Many folks will replace the impeller after the motor has come to a " dynamic halt " I guess.-----------Cooling water is most important !!

It shouldn't even be running at only 30psi on 3 cylinders. You need to figure out what is causing that before wasting time on anything else. Could be a candidate for the bone pile.

Back