Logo

Fuel Line Routing

mitchbuck

Contributing Member
Last year I replaced both fuel lines on my 1995 sea cat with twin 40 gallon tanks and I am wondering if I routed them correctly though. As the lines come off the tank there is enough slack (2-3 ft) that they sag into the bilge. There isn't anything inside the hull to suspend them on to keep them level. I am wondering if I should shorten these to take the slack and sag out? Does it matter? I am finding on the one side that bulb (new last year too) is having trouble pumping fuel into the racor. Also, the first couple pumps always has crap gas in it and I'm wondering if a small amount of gas is collecting in the sagging lines and going bad when it sits? Thanks

using outboards?

minimizing the length of fuel hose used will let the fuel pump work easier.....when was the last time the fuel pumps were serviced?

I'd suggest looking at Honda's Installation requirements for specifics regarding hose routing, etc....I doubt that there's a huge concern unless you have a real ong run....as a general rule, you can check the AB&YC requirements for most anything on a boat - and these typically represent 'best industry practices' though some are considered minimums....going memory you dont want deep sags as they will collect any water in the fuel....and minimizing hose length along with proper support (like every 18-24") minimizes any opportunity for sagging.

Did you use a good marine rated hose?? if yes, then there shouldn't be any permeation issues....

Finally, how long does the boat sit between uses? the modern 'gasoline' sold nowadays has a shelf life of < 30 days....even less if it stored to the extremes of the environment....could be a contributor as well....

And how did you determine the 'first couple pumps always has crap gas'??

Back