Logo

2017 Honda 115 idle speed

I have 4.5 hours on my Honda 115 motor. It idles at 900 but on the cowl it says 750 +/- 50. It doesn't sound high to me but I can hear it go into gear. If it was idling at 750 maybe I wouldn't hear it as much.

Thanks

Yes the idle speed is too high. It might be as simple as the throttle cable is not adjusted properly, causing the throttle to be slightly advanced when in neutral.

It would be best to take it back to the dealer for proper adjustment. If it is not the cable, there could be a couple of other things that could cause that.

Shifting into gear at too high idle, could ultimately damage the lower unit. Likewise, a high idle makes it more difficult to take out of gear and could be problematic when trying to maneuver around a dock or other boats.

All of the above should still be covered under warranty. The proper idle setting should be checked during the PDI of the motor.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Hondadude, I was wrong it was idling at 800. but they did tone it to 750. And the air sensor was adjusted. The linkage was such a minor adjustment. you can still hear it go into gear. but not bad as they say its normal. She purrs nice.

Back