Logo

230 hp omc 990322a rh1975 // carb question

Adaily

I have a 1978 Correct Craft Mustang with an OMC 230 305ci straight inboard engine. Does anyone know the correct carburetor that belongs on this engine. Starts up easily, runs very well through the RPM range to about 3,200. Does not take additional throttle. It also coughs when dropping from a high RPM to a low RPM, and then quickly speeding up again. This is a boat I just acquired so I'm sorting it out. Nice fun boat but not running as it should. Presently it has a Holly 4bbl, I don't know the CFM but will look it up shortly. It's not a very large holly. I thought about timing, prop size, as I know those are two other causes for this bad behavior. But it seemed I should start with the Carburetor, which seems to be in good condition, clean and maintained. I did install a new fuel pump as the old one was original and I'm not at ease with a 40 year old pump. The distributor is new, a Mallory, but it's still not been converted to electronic. Once I acquire a distributor cam puller I'll change it to electronic. I have the parts. If it was hard to start I'd suspect ignition but it's not. Any ideas, I'm all ears. Thank you,

Tony D12.jpg11.jpg26.jpg

Back