Logo
Click for Chrysler parts and manuals!

Thread: 318 Fuel line

Default 318 Fuel line

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket fuel line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb that isn't copper? I need to find a replacement and can't find anyone or anywhere that sells the copper setup.

I believe the fuel pump outlet is a 5/16 fitting and the 1409 carb inlet is a 3/8 fitting.

Is it as simple as buying flared fittings and bending my own? Do I need specialized copper tubing or will anything go? All the one's I could find are for hvac use.

What size tubing will I need?

Much appreciated.

Default Re: 318 Fuel line

Ayuh,..... I use automotive 3/8" steel brake lines myself,....
    Any Grease is Better,... Than No grease at All....

Default Re: 318 Fuel line

Quote Originally Posted by crashband View Post
    Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket fuel line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb that isn't copper? I need to find a replacement and can't find anyone or anywhere that sells the copper setup.

I believe the fuel pump outlet is a 5/16 fitting and the 1409 carb inlet is a 3/8 fitting.

Is it as simple as buying flared fittings and bending my own? Do I need specialized copper tubing or will anything go? All the one's I could find are for hvac use.

What size tubing will I need?

Much appreciated.

Recently went through this drill with my 71' LM 318. Steel in tough to bend. I don't have the skill or patience. There is now a an alloy (copper, nickel etc) used for brake and fuel lines. Much easier to bend and flare. Available on ebay or most auto parts store. But I didn't use it. I ran Marine grade 5/16' fuel line from the carb to fuel pump, fuel pump to filter, filter to tank. My carb is a Carter AFB. Factory steel line was bent and crimped and needed replacing. At the carb I screwed in a 5/16" barb brass fitting and attached the 5/16" fuel line. The line runs forward over the intake manifold and down to the fuel pump between the head and alternator. Yes your fuel pump has 5/16" fittings. As I recall one of the pump fittings is screwed on.
    Buy your fittings from an auto parts store. I understand there is a threading difference between the plumbing fittings at Home Depot.