Logo

Honda BF130 wont charge (BZBE 1998~)

Hi Guys,

I have a BF130 that wont charge and I'm running out of idea's and money.:confused: Please can you help.

The battery indicator light has been intermittent for a while, most of the time it would come on when I turn on the ignition then go off when the engine starts but last weekend it stopped coming on altogether.

Thinking it was the bulb, I remove the battery indicator and MIL panel, tested the bulb direct to a battery and the bulb was ok. I then moved onto the wiring that feeds the indicator panel and could see there is a white and blue wire that went back to the alternator connection so I tested that for continuity and that also tested fine. There is also a yellow and black wire that feeds both lights, as this worked as the earth for the bulb test I am assuming this is a common earth. There is a black and yellow wire on the connector that plugs into alternator but there is no continuity between this and the black and yellow wire at the connector that plugs into the panels if that makes sense?

Assuming it must be the alternator I took this to a garage that spe******es in auto electrics and alternators and they advised me that the regulator was at fault however they could not find a direct replacement to replace it but they could install an alternative but this would involve some soldering and joining of connections.:eek: I was a little worried by this so decided to see if I could find another alternator first. My local Honda marina wants £175 for the regulator and £600 for the whole alternator which I thought was an obscene amount of money. Luckily I found an alternator on eBay from a guy who was breaking a BF130 that had a cracked block so I bought it, installed it today however I have the exact same fault, no battery indicator light and still not charging.

I know it's possible I've bought another faulty alternator and I will get it tested but I would like to know of there are any other tests I can do?

Ok, so I've been to another auto electrical place and had both alternators retested. This time they have both tested good... :D :confused:

So, back to wiring. The White and blue wire that supplies the alternator/battery indicator light is only show 4.6 volts.
Does anybody know if this is right?

I get 4.6 volts at the light end and also at the end that connects to the alternator, this same wire also goes to the ECU and I cant measure the voltage there without cutting into the wire which I am reluctant to do as you can imagine.

Please help.
If anybody could measure the voltage of the white and blue wire at the light end where the connector is on their outboard that would really really help me out.

Hope somebody can help

Back