Logo

Ignorant or deceitful?

jaybirdboat

In January 2017, I had both engines as well as trans taken out of my 1978 Carlcraft (Gibson) houseboat to replace the rotten stringers as I am in the process of re- building the boat. The marine mechanics performed the work. The work took 9 weeks and while there 160 gallons of water came in from the wiring harness at the upper helm. They never went inside to see the soaked carpet. ( just info about the experience) When finished we went on a sea trial and the starboard engine was running very rough. I was informed I needed to rebuild the carb for $300. I paid it. Afterwards engine still running rough and finally would not start. The marina hired a new mechanic and he looked at the boat and informed me the cam shaft and distributor were the wrong ones for the LH starboard engine and said it would cost about $3K. The engines were running perfect prior to removal.

Two weeks later I hired my own mechanic for another opinion and within 1-1/2 he had the engine running perfectly. The firing order was off with the plugs and the distributor was out of position by 2 teeth. While I was extremely happy I now felt totally taken advantage of, or am dealing with idiots at a very large national company with marinas across the country.

My question is how to handle this situation? How do I know the stringer job is performed right after loosing confidence? That cost me $10K. I also do not want my fellow boaters to be taken advantage of by either by a dishonest service department, incapable or both.

I appreciate any thoughts you you may have..
Jay

Back