Logo

Cool OMC 140HP SeaDrive - No Spark

Hi,

Had a problem with no spark, so I bought a new CDI ignition module. It is a perfect replica. However, after replacing it, I still have no spark at any of the 4 spark plugs. I believe that the stator is good as the yellow stator windings ohm out properly. However, there are two other brown wires off the stator that measure open. I also tested the kill switch wire and it tested ok. I don't have the manual for this year engine and can't identify their function. Does anyone out there know or have a suggestion?

Thank you!

Default Re: OMC 140HP SeaDrive - No Spark

What kind of meter are you using ?--------The brown wires have to do with feeding a voltage pulse to powerpack for ignition.---And is the starter / battery / cables in good shape ?----Slow cranking on this motor means there will be no spark !

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm using a high quality digital voltmeter. The brown wires should have a resistance spec, but I don't know what it is. I was testing with a 200 ohm range setting. If the wires are the secondary of a pulse transformer, then the resistance would likely be higher than 200 ohms and I missed it. I will remeasure. The cranking speed is within spec at approx. 250 rpm.

I ascertained that the pulse transformer connected to the brown wires was an open circuit. I installed a new stator assembly. The pulse transformer on the new one measured 550 Ohms and the engine started perfectly!

Thanks for the help.