Logo

New project--beginning boater

Dinger17

Currently working on getting a '73 Lancer 19' up and running. Thing has been sitting outside for years. Engine has been covered, full of oil, oil looks good. Seats were decayed, floor rotten... have since removed and replaced floor, as well as "painting" floor with fiberglass resin to waterproof... the part we're having trouble with is the fuel system. Engine turns over, we have spark now (replaced plugs and straightened out firing order from distributor).... but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Took a fuel pump out of another boat just to try to "force" fuel through lines, but still not going. Is there a SO valve somewhere we aren't seeing? Anything else to try to get fuel to engine? (Even tried pouring right into carb... would only backfire and sputter a bit.)

I trust you drained and cleaned the tank before doing anything???

If you are careful, you can use an outboard can to supply fuel to the pump to see if it runs (temporary only)...

I'd be inclined to go thru the carb as well.....not knowing how the engine was put up, its best to assume the worst and inspect the system parts....

You may also have a gummed up anti-syphon valve at the connection between the fuel line and the tank fitting - simple check valve....

Did not drain and clean. Tank was dusty, but figured fuel filter would catch that... ran from a scrap of fuel line from portable tank, got bowl of carb to fill up. But when we attached to boat's tank and tried to run thru steel line, it wouldn't pull any gas. (Ran from boat tank thru brand new chunk of line and could get gas going. Thinking its got a plugged up line? No check valve or anti siphons valve on our tank...

try blowing some air from the pump connection back into the tank....if the air wont flow then you have a shutoff valve of some type or a blockage....a functioning anti-syphon valve will block air blown back into the tank...Id suggest getting a mirror and a flashlight and going over the fuel line real thoroughly...

There is a antisiphon device at the pickup on the tank that may be stuffed up. Pull the suction tube in the tank and check the strainer is clean and the tube is clear. It wouldnt hurt to just replace the antisiphon valve I doubt you can even blow compressed air backwards through the safety valve? They are just a spring loaded check valve it takes suction pressure to pull fuel from the tank.

a bicycle pump is adequate.....if it wont blow back into the tank, either the dip tube (fuel pick up) is clogged or you do have an anti-syphon valve...they are usually at the top of the diptube - looks like a pipe stretcher, maybe an inch or two long...

I'd really be inclined to clean out the tank - only God knows what is in there and how long it has been sitting....if you have a manual vacuum pump - like a brake bleeder - you can try to draw out some fuel that way...

I've got something I can use... planning on pulling tank out of bow tomorrow, so we can see what we're dealing with a little better! Thanks again!

Back