Logo

AQ131a raw water pump

LarryZ

Hello Guys! First post here. 88 Volvo Penta AQ131A. I have replaced, rebuilt the entire raw water system. Flushed all the lines, etc.Changed out the shaft, bearing, seal and bushings, as well as the impeller but I get no suction. The old impeller was pretty bad and the shaft seal was leaking, but it pumped. I used the glycerin lube as instructed but no joy. The only thing I can think of is the scoring on the inside of the pump enough to prevent suction? I would add a pic, but don't know how to do that here.
Thanks!

I changed the o rings, in and out of the pump, all the pump components. Verified that the piping from the outside to the pump was clear. I believe that the scoring inside the pump housing is preventing the pump from pulling a suction.

Larry

Pin holes in the elbow that connects the raw water inlet hose to the drive will also. Common corrosion related problem. Also a degraded hose from the transom to the drive.

Did you prime the pump - supposed to be self priming I think but I remember priming through the seawater filter once to get things moving after I forgot to open the seawater valve in the bilges (BIG mistake but caught in time!) Now have this "preflight checklist" stuck on my instrument console :)

Back