Logo

HELP! RATTLING NOISE IN OUTBOARD (WITH VIDEO) Johnson 150 hp V6

cbaz217

Hiyou guys, Igot a 2 stroke Johnson 150 hp 2001 (j150vlsif).
About3 weeks ago I went out with my wife for a ride, I always like to nostress the motor keep it at cruising speed 3500 to 4000 rpms but thistime I over push the motor to higher rpms (4500-6000).
Whilecruising this rattling noise came up, sounded like a rhythmic thinmetal, never heard that before. I stopped right of way and check themotor. There was nothing there to see, hear or smell, the noise wentaway.
SlowlyI start increasing the rpms and the noise came back.
Itook the boat back to the boat ramp in idle speed and the noisesometimes came back. It lose some what some power as well. No checkengine neither hot engine light came on, nothing.
Backin my house while flushing the motor I increased the rpms to see ifthere was any noise and there was nothing. Is a 2 stroke so was kindaloud to hear it anyways.
Itook my time looking around the motor and again, nothing was there tosee, hear or smell.
(Links of Videos in the bottom of my post)
Aftermeeting and talking with some mechanics, they told me is the lowerunit, motor needs to be rebuild, this... and ....that.... you guysknow. Some of them told me that the first thing they would need to dois:
-Changethe air and fuel hoses
-Rebuildall the carbs.
-Inspectand clean the reed valves.
-Inspectand get new gaskets for the intake manifold.
-Inspect,clean and place liquid gasket in the cylinder head, new sparkplugs.
-Inspectthe lower unit.
-Changethe water pump and seals.
-Changeall the seals in the lower unit.
-Inspectthe lower unit gearcase and seals.

SoI order the service manual and all the above, I did it myself.
ITSDONE.

PersonallyI thought that the gears were done, because there was water in thelower unit.
Afterseeing and removing the gears and dog clutch, these were in perfectcondition.
Allthe seals , water pump and gear oil was replaced in the lowerunit.
Afterall the above was done (3 weeks after) I put the boat back on thewater with my fingers crossed, and there was the sound again, veryfine and quiet like before. No difference with the performance, noyet until I increased the rpms and load. The noise came back veryloud, is not an stable noise, it comes and goes. It's a metal, thinrattling noise. Hard to explain the noise but i did attached thevideo links below.
Somemechanics told me " run that son of the b, fast as you can".But I think that they just want some work for them after the boatgets worse doing that.
I'mreally going crazy with this, I need to know what else I can do orinspect.
Canbe something by the flywheel, I don't wanna mess with that if I don'thave to, because I don't know how to fix the timing, In the case Imessed up.
Canbe by the power pack? Just don't know !
I'MASKING FOR YOUR HELP HERE, I REALLY NEED TO GET THIS FIXED, I DONTKNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO, IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY, AND I'M TIRED OFSPENDING MORE MONEY IN THE WRONG PARTS, I just got this boat tooabout 7-8 months ago and it was running fine prior this.

Notes:While inspecting the reed valves, I got some access to the pistons,the look good from that angle but some of them (2) got a little play,in other words the are a little lose. But if that is the problem,wouldn't the noise be constant, no intermittent?
Pleasehelp!

Didcompression test and they were:
105-100
90-90
80-90

AlsoI removed all the spark plugs cover very slowly and you can see aspark as soon you remove it in every spark plug , meaning that thepistons are working good.

IREALLY THANK YOU GUYS AND APPRECIATE FOR YOUR HELP INADVANCE!!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://youtu.be/Mg5swavl6-M[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://youtu.be/thxiQ2fAUN4[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://youtu.be/YwM2S9E6BQk[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEETHE VIDEO DESCRIPTION FOR DETAILS.[/FONT]

Hey man I know what u mean about a rattling sound driving you crazy. I have a 99 Johnson Ocean Pro 150 and I have just used it for the first time....I also have a strange metal to metal sound very faint but I can definitely hear it. I put my ear on the cowling...but my noise appears to be coming from lower unit. I also had water intrusion into my lower unit oil and I am in the middle of rebuilding the lower unit. Like you I am hoping I can stop the leak of water into my oil...and I would also like the rattle sound to go away. Is your motor oiling correctly???? VRO or Premix? Looks like you have a nice boat...what kind is it? What parts manual did you order....OEM or aftermarket? I have OEM shop manual and it isnt very clear.
Good luck with your engine

Hey man I know what u mean about a rattling sound driving you crazy. I have a 99 Johnson Ocean Pro 150 and I have just used it for the first time....I also have a strange metal to metal sound very faint but I can definitely hear it. I put my ear on the cowling...but my noise appears to be coming from lower unit. I also had water intrusion into my lower unit oil and I am in the middle of rebuilding the lower unit. Like you I am hoping I can stop the leak of water into my oil...and I would also like the rattle sound to go away. Is your motor oiling correctly???? VRO or Premix? Looks like you have a nice boat...what kind is it? What parts manual did you order....OEM or aftermarket? I have OEM shop manual and it isnt very clear.
Good luck with your engine
All the parts are oem, vro is bypass, oil mix is perfect, new gas in the tank.
Lower unit is impeccable, with new gear oil!
Many parts have been changed! If you need help with the lower unit, let me know is to easy to be truth! Hardest part is to put the nut in the driveshaft!
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it and again if you need help lmk!

Back