Logo

difference between carbs

SimpleMan9841

Hi new here, I have a 1987 85 HP force with WE18 carbs. I am having running issues. during my diagnosis, I found one of my carbs broken at the mounting ear. My ???? is, a friend gave me a set of WE4 carbs will they work?

Measure the venturi on the carbs if they are the same just make sure the proper high speed jets are where they belong. The venturi is the narrowest part of the throat of the carb where the nozzle is sticking up for the high speed circuit.

Thanks I measured everything I could, they appear to be the same. Installed and running pretty good, going to recheck my link and sync. and stark tweaking the ajustments.

Keep a close eye on the spark plugs for the first tank or two. If the plugs come out a powdery white it is running too lean they need to be toasty brown on the center electrode insulators on all the spark plugs.

Thanks will do. The only problem I'm having is a very small amount of surging at WOT. other than that 35mph, 5000rpm, 17" prop, 17' Bayliner capri

The surging could be the difference in the jets.
Did you compare the #s on the new jet to the old?

Did you get just 1 carb? or a set f 3??

They are set up in 3's and flow tested to match each other.

I was hard to read the jets on the original set but I think they are the same size. it seems to be getting better with use. They were sitting on a shelf for about 10 yrs. Mabey I didnt get all the crud out when I cleaned them.

Well I spoke to soon:mad:. I left the dock gave it half throttle, and it died. It will only start if i spray fuel mix into the carbs, but it dies right away. starting from scratch again.

Start at the fuel tank the surging sounds like a fuel supply issue that finally quit altogether. Pull the pickup tube in the fuel tank see if the strainer if present is plugged. then work your way to the carbs replacing any fuel lines that are hard. Pull the fuel pump apart and see if the diaphram is stiff. It is not likely both carbs plugged at the same time but not impossible either. Make sure the fuel system is good up to the carbs then you can clean them if necessary.

Well Stupid Me!!!! I didn't even notice when I recleaned the carbs that the bowls were full of water. I pumped 5 gallons of water out of my tank,and I still have 15 gallons in the tank. Using a portable tank for now. thanks for the help...

Back