Logo

1972 Mercury 1150 Tower of Power

Clint_taylor95

I recently acquired a '72 1150 tower of Power that has not been used lately. I have a few questions that i was hoping you all could help me out with to try and get this motor running good. I replaced the water pump and it is pumping water good. Hooked the motor on a hose and let it run at idle for 5-10 minutes with new gas, I shot each plug with a laser and they all were around 90 degees F and would not get any hotter.

1) So now I want to check the compression but have never done this before. From several places i have read, I plan on starting the motor to get it warmed up. Then take all 6 spark plugs out, grounding all 6 plug wires to engine block, inserting gauge in first plug bore, cranking with key for a few seconds until gauge maxes out, then repeating process with next plug bore. I have also read to disable the ignition system, what is the best way to do that? (Unplug 3 wires going from distributor to the switch box, or from starter solenoid to switchbox, or another way)

2) The power tilt trim was not trimming up all the way, so I took the fill plug and vent plug out and filled the housing as much as it would hold, then I ran it up and down several times and reinstalled the plugs. It raises up all the way now and does not bleed off. My question is, why can i lift the motor up by hand if the trim is working and not bleeding off? (I could also lift the motor by hand before I filled the resevoir)

Sorry for any silly questions, as I am not very mechanically oriented but try and learn as I go. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back