Logo

360 ignition problem

I have a 81 Trojan f-32 with a pair of chrysler 360s, the starboard motor has been having ignition problems since I put it in this year, when cruising at 3000 it will be fine and then out of know where it will start faltering but the volt meter and tac starts jumping like crazy, replace ignition coil and ran good for an hour and next day leaving harbor as soon as I went to bring up the rpm s it started faltering right away, replaced ignition module and found bad and overheated connections on ballist resistor, fixed connections and took out for a 45 min run and was fine next day took it out and the first hour was cruising at 3000 then idling at 1200 through navy pier for about 30 min then opened back up to 3000 for 15 min then idled at 750 along break wall for about an hour all with no issues until it was time to head back brought it up to 3000 and started faltering right away took it down to 2200 and ran fine all the way back to the harbor witch was about an hour, in the harbor it started faltering again at idle around 800 and finally died, brought it in on one motor and started starboard back up to dock and it died as soon as I was able to get a line on, but the key is the fact the volt and tac on just starboard motor are jumping around like an electrical problem I feel like I have when over everything but need some other ideas what it could be.

until it was time to head back brought it up to 3000 and started faltering right away took it down to 2200 and ran fine all the way back to the harbor witch was about an hour

Ayuh,.... Who's ignition was used on these ole motors,..?? Points, or electronic,..??

Have ya checked the contents of the fuel filters for anything but clean fresh gasoline,..??

It sounds like it's goin' Lean,....

Chrysler electronic ignition is on there now but got pertronixs on the way hopeing it is the right kit because it was really hard to find the right kit for the prestolight distributors that are on there, clean gas and filters, the reason I know for a fact it's ignition is because of the volt meter and tac jumping like crazy when it acts up

Try disconnecting the tach.
Check all grounds especially the ECU.
Inspect wiring harness for heating up or chafed and possible shorts.
You might have the alternator tested.

Check your alternator circuit, circuit breaker. I had this problem on my Chrysler engine. It would only chatter and fail at higher RPMs and under a load when the engine vibrating more, causing the voltmeter to spike up and down and the tach to go nuts. Just jump it out to test or remove the wires and Bolt & Nut them together and tape it up then try running the boat. This drove me nuts I did the same thing as you Distributor, coil,plugs, wires, fuel filter, ballast resistor,ECM. To make matters worse the carburetor was fouled up as well, so I had two competing problems to really mess things up as far as troubleshooting goes. Unbelievable nightmare. I would definitely jump out that circuit breaker before you do anything else just to make sure. Good luck.

Check your alternator circuit, circuit breaker. I had this problem on my Chrysler engine. It would only chatter and fail at higher RPMs and under a load when the engine vibrating more, causing the voltmeter to spike up and down and the tach to go nuts. Just jump it out to test or remove the wires and Bolt & Nut them together and tape it up then try running the boat. This drove me nuts I did the same thing as you Distributor, coil,plugs, wires, fuel filter, ballast resistor,ECM. To make matters worse the carburetor was fouled up as well, so I had two competing problems to really mess things up as far as troubleshooting goes. Unbelievable nightmare. I would definitely jump out that circuit breaker before you do anything else just to make sure. Good luck.

Back