Logo

lower unit help

just me

I dropped lower unit, about 4 inches, never disconnected shift control rod, just wanted to look in lower unit for trash, was none, pushed lower unit up, reattached, now cannot get unit in neutral. Motor engaged even with throttle in neutral.

PLEASE, if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be in this mess, so not too technical .

4 bolts on each side of where lower unit attaches, and 1 bolt in center, then lower unit dropped 4-5"being stopped by drive shaft and throttle rod holding it. shined light in lower unit, pushed it back together and put 5 bolts back in. Noticed prop wouldn't turn freely.

And how long have you owned this motor ?------ Did it run properly before you did this inspection ?----Did you perhaps get somone else's problems.

I have owned this boat/motor 4-5 years. The motor has always run fine, always shifted fine. About 2 weeks ago the boat was not accelerating right, so decided to do a good cleaning etc. I am in Florida so sand bars do become a problem at times and after someone, probably someone I shouldn't have listened to told me how easy it was to drop the lower unit and check for sand, that is what I was doing. It WAS FINE in shifting until I dropped the unit and reattached it.

When the shift rod is NOT DISCONNECTED it will only drop about 1 inch.-----Do some other trouble shooting on this motor.----------Compression test done ?--------Gear oil checked ?---------Spark checked ?------Prop hub checked ?

I believe the shift rod is all that it keeping the unit from coming all the way off. A quick, probably crazy question, but I have not put the lower end lube back in as I drained it. That alone couldn't be a chance of causing this could it? I feel being the shifting was fine, the unit was just dropped as far as the throttle rod allowed, it was pushed straight up and rebolted, this must be a simple problem.

And yea, as angry as I am with this man that suggested this, a stranger I ran into, I cannot completely blame him being I have wanted to check the lower unit for sand for a long time.

Well EXCUSE me, if I was knowledgeable in all this I wouldn't have came here for help. All I want is a little advice, looks like that not going to happen.

Oh, and there was no "water tube" , only a rubber fitting between the lower and upper unit. The only two things "attached" when the 5 bolts were removed is the drive shaft and shift rod.

As I said, I know nothing, but it appears gears are not disengaging inside the lower unit. There is 2 bolts to take a plastic plate off where the shift rod goes into the lower unit and I assume this needs to be removed to reach the problem, but was hoping for some help before I just mess something else up.

Well EXCUSE me, if I was knowledgeable in all this I wouldn't have came here for help. All I want is a little advice, looks like that not going to happen.

Well, you're rather a thin skinned SOB aren't you? I was simply advising you of the proper terminology only to find that you're obviously too stupid to recognize constructive criticism from someone who knows every part of that engine you're screwing up. To come flying back at me with a obnoxious arrogant quote as you have, well, that has shown your true character. I gave you advice... there will be none further forthcoming, you can bet your snotty ass on that.

I deleted the advice I gave previously as it's highly unlikely that you would be able to grasp it with your level of intelligence. I'll leave the advice quotes to my knowledgeable fellow members.

Well I'm sorry if, even though I explained in my beginning of this thread, my inexperience and being not an knowledgeable as an expert, and being extremely upset and frustrated at this time, my taking your comment to be kinda throwing this in my face. I was appreciating any and all help, but as I said, am frustrated at this point as there has to be a simple solution, an EXPERT such as yourself could possibly provide.

Some people feel that they are better than other's and just take the opportunity to point out their superiority in areas, I have run into plenty of those, and sorry if I took your "advice" to be that and it was not intended that way.

As far as helping, that is all your choice.

I never meant to insult anyone and have appreciated everyone that has tried to help. I felt insulted and as I was "being made fun of" when he put there is no throttle rod, it's a shift rod in the language used, and YES, I am man enough to say I may have mistook him. As I responded to him, I have made it known in several posts that I don't pretend to know anything, that's why I came here.

All that said, I will not stop believing he was way out of sorts talking to me in the language he did.

I am just a "poor boy" that likes to fish. I have to try to repair things myself because I can't afford to take my boat to an expensive shop. I am disabled and it is one of the few pleasures I have.

So, I have a 20+ year old beat up 16' boat, I'm not ashamed that is what I have as I don't know if I will ever be able to afford a newer one.

Thanks for your advice and in the next couple of days I will try to check out your advice.

Could something have come loose in the lower unit from this rod rather than it being broken?

All I do know is it appears some of the "experts" are very childish, and when responding can't recognize a "new member" that does not need childish remarks but is frustrated and sincerely needs help.

What surprises me most is the vulgar and not well thought out responses are allowed by a site that sells many products. The bad publicity this can cause and spread through the many means available today could very well affect some of their business.

It has been stated that the lower unit can only drop about 1 inch or so when shift rod is NOT disconnected.------------You continue to say that it dropped 4 or 5 inches.---------Something is wrong !!------Likely something wrong before you started.-------Any other screws removed other than ones already mentioned ????

Ok if your lower unit actually dropped 4-5 inches. I would look by the carbs at the shift linkage if you let the lower unit drop you could have broken the pin or damaged it. You need to start there

Nothing else disconnected, no other bolts taken off other than the 5 necessary for lower unit to come loose from upper unit. it did drop hard, and went down about 4 inches. I looked at the Pin under carburetor, it's in tack.

I was told the rod itself could have broken, but don't think that has happened as the lower unit is still being kept from coming off because of the rod.

I think, well I wonder, if it has "come loose" from whatever it attaches to on the lower unit.

Last edited:
Bless you Joe Reeves !! I'm with you all the way on your come back !! Maybe the OP should find a different forum to post on !!

Back