Logo

Sx drive groaning/vibration in turns

Monster1

Hey guys, first post here. It's my understanding that there are some real smart people here that might be able to help me out with my problem. Here it goes. I have a 04 2101 striper with 4.3gxi engine and sx drive. I have a ss ballistic 14 x 17 pitch prop. No damage. When running the boat in even slight turns, I get your standard vibration/groan and sometimes knock which suggests the gimbal bearing and/or u joints. The drive has been serviced numerous times since I've been aware of this issue. The gimbal bearing and driveshaft are new. It has not helped the problem. EVERYTHING looks new. The shop I take it to is a professional shop with Volvo trained techs although they are not a Volvo dealer. They have checked alignment (not with a tool but they say it the driveshaft won't go back into place of engine is misaligned), checked all mounts, new driveshaft, new gimbal, etc. Everything is nice and clean, no rust, no metal shavings, shiny wear areas, no nothing. They are stumped what is causing this issue. They even contacted a Volvo rep who was reluctant to help because this drive isn't under warranty and they aren't a dealer. Tgey basically told them it's just the way it is. I find this unacceptable as it's not like the problem us from locking out the steering wheel at turns doing 40mlh across the water. The problem is occurring with the drive swinging as little as 15 degrees either way or even just trimming the engine enough for optimum cruising. If I swing more such as coming back around to pick up a skier in the water, the vibration/groaning turns into knocking. For a lack of better description, the knocking is like when you vibrate your tongue against the roof if your mouth. If that makes sense. I've even contacted another volvo shop and their star tech told me that if there aren't any broken parts or shavings, shiny wear areas, etc just run it. On some days I'm inclined to just follow their advise but in other days I'm just thinking this is unacceptable. If I take the boat out again, I'm just going to have to take a video of the noise problem and show just how little I turn the drive because it starts vibrating and groaning. Please help guys. I'm at my wits end.

Thank you,
Monty

Hey guys, first post here. It's my understanding that there are some real smart people here that might be able to help me out with my problem. Here it goes. I have a 04 2101 striper with 4.3gxi engine and sx drive. I have a ss ballistic 14 x 17 pitch prop. No damage. When running the boat in even slight turns, I get your standard vibration/groan and sometimes knock which suggests the gimbal bearing and/or u joints. The drive has been serviced numerous times since I've been aware of this issue. The gimbal bearing and driveshaft are new. It has not helped the problem. EVERYTHING looks new. The shop I take it to is a professional shop with Volvo trained techs although they are not a Volvo dealer. They have checked alignment (not with a tool but they say it the driveshaft won't go back into place of engine is misaligned), checked all mounts, new driveshaft, new gimbal, etc. Everything is nice and clean, no rust, no metal shavings, shiny wear areas, no nothing. They are stumped what is causing this issue. They even contacted a Volvo rep who was reluctant to help because this drive isn't under warranty and they aren't a dealer. Tgey basically told them it's just the way it is. I find this unacceptable as it's not like the problem us from locking out the steering wheel at turns doing 40mlh across the water. The problem is occurring with the drive swinging as little as 15 degrees either way or even just trimming the engine enough for optimum cruising. If I swing more such as coming back around to pick up a skier in the water, the vibration/groaning turns into knocking. For a lack of better description, the knocking is like when you vibrate your tongue against the roof if your mouth. If that makes sense. I've even contacted another volvo shop and their star tech told me that if there aren't any broken parts or shavings, shiny wear areas, etc just run it. On some days I'm inclined to just follow their advise but in other days I'm just thinking this is unacceptable. If I take the boat out again, I'm just going to have to take a video of the noise problem and show just how little I turn the drive because it starts vibrating and groaning. Please help guys. I'm at my wits end.

Thank you,
Monty

I am wondering if its the lower part of the SX drive, I have the same issue(s) and have done most of the steps that you did. The gimbal bearing replacement helped but it still growls a little with turns or adjustments in the trim angle.

I have had a few nicks with the prop and wonder if the repaired/replaced ones are not balanced well enough and under load in a corner they are stressing a internal bearing in the lower end.

I too am interested for a senior member's response and possible/probable solution.

David

pull the drive and measure the protruding end caps of the U joint, I think you`ll find them at different heights.
This would let the joint slide side to side slightly

Thanks for the help. My shop said they checked this and was "within spec" as was everything else supposedly. I just don't have this thing figured out. There is a guy on another forum with the same issues. His shop has done the same troubleshooting and cone up negative. My suspicion is that drive is not precisely aligned. The shop told me they don't use am alignment tool because of the drive will go into the coupler then it is aligned enough. The same scenario with the other guy and we both have the same issue. Could it be that simple that this "good enough" approach to engine alignment is causing the issue?

Back