Logo

Default Johnson Remote Control Compatibility - Can I use a 115hp control with a 70hp control?

I have a 1975 Johnson 70 and needed to replace the remote. I was able to get a Johnson 115 remote that appears to be 1979 or later.

Same red 10 pin connector but the control cables are larger on the 115.

Can I switch out the control cables for throttle/shift and be able to use that control.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

Default Re: Johnson Remote Control Compatibility - Can I use a 115hp control with a 70hp control?

Only way to find out is to open up the 79 control box.--------Early cables may not fit in place of " snap in " cables.------Other than that " red plug " controls work on any motor with a red plug.-----Post pictures of cable CONTROL BOX ends.

Default Re: Johnson Remote Control Compatibility - Can I use a 115hp control with a 70hp control?

Quote Originally Posted by racerone View Post
    Only way to find out is to open up the 79 control box.--------Early cables may not fit in place of " snap in " cables.------Other than that " red plug " controls work on any motor with a red plug.-----Post pictures of cable CONTROL BOX ends.
    @racerone thanks much for the reply. Screws are super tight so will take me some time to open it up, but when I do I'll post pics here.