Logo

Honda 2004 BF225 HP running rough

Seachaser

Regular Contributor
My 2004 BF225hp Honda outboard is running a little rough.

A little history; Since I've done lot of trolling and had black soot at the exhaust output, so last year I decided to run with Yamaha Ring Free mix. I did this at end of last season on the day that I hauled the boat for the season. I had run the ring free mix at the dock for 30 minutes, and then decided to run underway. I ran up to ~3,000 RPMs and the motor bogged down and so then I limped back to the dock at <2000 RPMs. Hauled it and did my year end maintenance and prep to deal with it this coming season.

Now, this new season it would not turn over at all. I decided, to clean up the VST. So I replaced all Filters, O-rings etc. I found the fuel line connection from the rail was all crappy and the O-ring deteriorated, the High Pressure pump Filter also had some percentage of blockages. So I had my smoking guns. Also, I had my fuel injectors sent out to be serviced, diagnostic printout showed 5%-10% blockage and bad spray pattern. All clean now.

Now put it all back together, engine started right up. But now its runs I'll say a little rough. While Running Low Idle RPMs, it sometimes does not run consistently steady RPMs. Since I am just in the back yard on Muffs/Hose I did not run it too high on the RPMs for any length of time. When I run 2000 to 3000 RPMs it runs, but you can hear a faint Putt-Putt but still maintaining the higher RPMS.

I do have an OBD software tool it does show that the engine had a "past" O2 Heater Failure. I'm still getting familiar with the run-time evaluation of this Tool.

Last year I dealt with the fuel rail Mesh/Filter problem which caused the gas pressure to exceed the 41-48 Psi. and it was sending the error code "1". But that has since been corrected and I'm assuming this is the left over fault? I did clear that fault out last year. Maybe the O2 sensor went bad again?

Note 1: The cover if the VST when removed had O-ring with gasket material. When I put back with new O-ring I did not put any gasket material with it because the shop manual did not indicate to do so. Should I have added gasket material?
Note 2: Another observation, the exhaust now is very clear "not smoky". As I understand if it’s black smoke soot it could be a hint of the O2 Sensor malfunction?
Note 3: The current 02 sensor was installed June 2015, and prior to 2012 had the upgraded exhaust pipes.
Note 4: I have run spare 6 gallon fuel tank bypassing Low Press and water Filters, no change.

Things to do:

1. Clear error and see if problem changes or error comes back. Question: Would the old error confuse the ECM and cause this rough situation?
  2. Test Fuel Pressure again?

Looking for some troubleshooting advice, thanks!

Back