Logo

Oil Change question

Mongol Madness

I have a 1992 Bowrider that has a Mercuiser 350 Magnum Alpha One with at Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the Oil Capacity on the Engine?
2. What Oil weight should I use in the Engine?
3. What is the Oil Capacity on the outdrive?
4. What Oil weight should I use in the outdrive?

I bought the boat last year and it already had this done. So now I'm trying to get it ready to put in on Sunday.

Thanks!

Magnum engines with remote oil filters typically use 5.5 qrts of Merc 25w 40w oil. per mercury recommendations. Always check level to be sure!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Mobile one 15-50.............I also use Napa GOLD 1060 oil filter for 350 engines of that year vintage, It is a larger filter than OEM but works well. What brand you use is up to you.

Outdrive uses ~ 38 OZ of HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR LUBE Synthetic (Mercury brand only) Weight is of no importance as long as you use this specific gear oil!!
There is only ONE!

For your information this gear oil is extremely good and I would strongly recommend NOT using any other brand!!!

That one looks very similar in size to the Mercury OEM....

Me personally I like a bit more size for my oil filter..........but to each their own........

Edit...1061..napa gold.

I could be wrong but I feel more filter media area..and more volume of oil flow....just my feeling/opinion...I am from that time when all small block chevys used those filters....they were also used on big blocks.

Look at any typical hyperformance engine standard oil system and they all seem to use large filter (s)....as some use two...

Back