Logo

Will parts from a newer Tohatsu engine, fit my old M30a2 outboard??

JackSparrow

Hi all, I was hoping someone here could help me. I've broken the steering handle on my old Tohatsu M30a2 outboard and on doing some research, I've found that Tohatsu only still manufacture parts from M30a2 outboards and up. I was wondering if the parts from the newer M30a3 engines will fit the older M30a2? I'm not sure what year my engine is and I can't find anywhere on the engine that says a year of manufacture, but I've attached some pics, so maybe someone here could shed some light. I've also included a pic of the steering handle that has broken from corrosion due to, I believe electrolysis. I literally just bought the boat and the steering handle broke on our first trip in the water.
any help at all would be much appreciated!
Cheers - Jack

The tiller handle for the M30A4 is 398Q630111 TILLER HANDLE A $53.22

Prior to the A4, the handle for the 25C2 and 30A3 is NLA.

However, there is a superceded part for the 30A3, depending on serial. This is actually the A4 handle: 398Q630111 TILLER HANDLE A 398630110 was superceded to 398Q630111

My parts catalogs don't go older than the 30A3, so I don't have the old part number, and that handle for the A2 is definitely NLA. This newer one will be in the "midnight blue/black" color. No way for me to know for sure, but this might be usable, though you may need to get some of the internal gears, shaft, etc., to make it work. As some model years changed, occasionally the handle length changed, so while a newer handle may fit the attachment point at the lower cowl, you may need the newer shaft and/or grip, etc.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, thank you very much for getting back to me! My apologies for not putting the pictures up, but it won't let me do it from my Mac for some reason, I will try on my work computer, so you can see the engine. The tiller arm is actually fine, but where the Hydraulic steering ram attaches to the U shaped steering handle on the outboard has cracked. I believe that the stainless steel plate that is bolted to it, has caused the aluminium to corrode.
cheers - Jack
Edit: Please see below for photos
IMG_6322.JPGIMG_6332.JPGIMG_6334.JPGIMG_6335.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. That "handle" is actuall part of the steering shaft assembly. The one for the A4 has an MSRP of about $266. Maybe you can repair your present one with a stainless channel or plate, through-bolted on each side. While it may promote electrolosys, the truth is that the original worked for many decades, so it should last as long as the motor.

Beware that very few if any parts are available for that oldie.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the help! I'm going to take your advice and do a repair with likely some ally bar, bolts through the current handle and sikaflex to keep it all solid.
Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

Cheers - Jack

I am the recent owner of a M30A3 engine with remote control which might be what you call it when you use
a steering wheel instead of tiller etc. From my research I believe the M30A3 began production in 1987 or 1988
or thereabouts meaning I guess your A2 version would be prior to 1987. If you call the national Tohatsu importer
( tohatsu.com)
they have some records from dealers way back then with serial numbers and dates sold and they can extrapolate
some kind of date of probable manufacture if you give them your serial number. I dont think it matters much
like in my situation.... They either have some parts you need or they dont.
I think the real crime would be if no one has the dealer parts listings or service manuals for these motors so we
can at least refer to them since there dont appear to be many experts around on these old engines.

Back