Logo

Motor Control Adjustment

cjb2145

First time poster here! I have a 1985 19ft. Bayliner with an 85 HP Force Motor, in the last year the motor control doesn't "stay put". If I go full throttle, I have to keep my hand on the motor control in order for it to stay full throttle. If I take my hand off the control, the throttle moves up a few inches and the boat slows down.

I have attached picture of the position of the motor control if my hand was on it (top pic) versus the position it would be in with my hand off it (bottom pic). If you look at the yellow sticker on the left you can see the change in position.

How can I fix this so that the motor control stays in place when I go full throttle? A few years ago I replaced one of the throttle cables, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this issue.

Collage+2017-06-08+13_53_45.jpg

Chris

The cable change could have an effect on the handle.

Unhook the cable at the connector on the motor.
Put it in N and then adjust the end of the cable to match the connector on the motor.
It should slide on without any pulling or stretching.

The shifter itself might have an adjuster to set the tension on the cable.
You'll have to take it off to find it.

The cable change could have an effect on the handle.

Unhook the cable at the connector on the motor.
Put it in N and then adjust the end of the cable to match the connector on the motor.
It should slide on without any pulling or stretching.

The shifter itself might have an adjuster to set the tension on the cable.
You'll have to take it off to find it.

Thanks for the reply! I will try your suggestion and see if that resolves the problem.

Back