Logo

Crusader 454 HEI distributor wiring

Zed

Greetings - Someone over on the Trojan Boats forums recommended that I pop over here for an answer to my question. I tried searching, but the search engine doesnt like the "HEI" term.

I'm just finishing my light overhaul of my motors and getting ready to put them back in the boat tomorrow. I purchased new HEI distributors from AAA marine. I'm super excited to see how these run.

The issue I am running into is wiring. I dont fully understand what all the old wiring was.

I have a 1989 Mark IV block that had the Prestolite breakerless.

The wires connecting to the coil were as follows:

purple and yellow to + on coil.

purple from starter to + on coil

gray (tach) to - on coil

I know i only need 12v and tach for this distributor, but i am confused by the exciter (yellow wire) coming off the alt to the + on the old coil.

Do i need this? Do i pull 12v from the starter or from the purple line coming from the harness? My gut says the purple wire from the harness and i eliminate the starter to + purple wire.

Thanks in advance (get it? shameless distributor pun) for the help!

+12VDC, from the key, to the coil (+)(assuming no ballast resistor is needed). Grey for the tach (-)..is the minimum, for the ignition.

The 'extra' wire to the + side of the coil should come from the R terminal of the starter's solenoid. Its sole purpose is to provide battery voltage, to the coil, when the starter is engaged.

the wire going to the alternator (from the + coil) is usually the exciter lead....it provides 'excitation' current to get the alternator producing energy when it first starts spinning... not always needs but eliminates any issues 'turning on' the alternator...

+12VDC, from the key, to the coil (+)(assuming no ballast resistor is needed). Grey for the tach (-)..is the minimum, for the ignition.

The 'extra' wire to the + side of the coil should come from the R terminal of the starter's solenoid. Its sole purpose is to provide battery voltage, to the coil, when the starter is engaged.

the wire going to the alternator (from the + coil) is usually the exciter lead....it provides 'excitation' current to get the alternator producing energy when it first starts spinning... not always needs but eliminates any issues 'turning on' the alternator...

Makomark! I was told by BobCT over on the Trojan forum that you would be the guy with the answer!

So I should hook the exciter up....because there's no reason not to.

Do i not need that "extra wire" fro, the solenoid?

Thanks for the reply!

I would use the factory connections unless you have a real good reason to deviate from them.....under most circumstances, they will give you the best performance...

Makomark! I was told by BobCT over on the Trojan forum that you would be the guy with the answer!

So I should hook the exciter up....because there's no reason not to.

Do i not need that "extra wire" fro, the solenoid?

Thanks for the reply!

I wired her right up and she fires fine. I'll be timing it today. Thanks again!

Back