Logo

VOLVO PENTA 5.7L Gi "NEW ENGINES"

AUSMUSTANGVOLVO

Hi all from here in Down Under with my first post.
I have just finished building 2 x NEW engines and want to start them on the stands I made before having them fitted back into my boat.
Is there a simple but safe way of doing this without having to employ a Marine Mechanic with a control panel or whatever they use.
Surely it is not that hard with the correct instructions and wiring.
Yes they are 100% complete and are fuel injected models.
thanks in advance for any help
David

Well...
1)Need a source of +12 and the equivalent of an ignition switch which will allow you to apply +12 to the correct point on the engine in a controlled manner and a way to momentarily activate the start circuit. Disconnecting the battery on an engine with an alternator won't stop the engine.

2) Need a source of water for cooling... you can't even safely run a marine motor for 20 seconds without a proper source of water...

3) .... and then... "disposal" or otherwise management of the water that will then vent out of the exhaust ports.

4) a fuel source

5) At a minimum you will need to hook up an oil pressure gauge.

6) If you intend to run the engine for more than about a minute at idle-ish speeds, a tach.

7) I'd say also a water temp gauge, however, I'd be leery of running an engine long enough on a home built stand to make this useful.

I'd be worried about the stability of a home built "engine stand", especially one just designed for holding an engine during maintenance at convenient working height, since the rotational reaction torque of over 900# of iron could topple the rig.

Well...
... Disconnecting the battery on an engine with an alternator won't stop the engine.
and it will typically cause damage to any electronic device connected to the alternator...

if the 'stand' is solid and you don't have anything connected to the flywheel (or gear's coupler), you shouldn't have any issues...

and it will typically cause damage to any electronic device connected to the alternator...

if the 'stand' is solid and you don't have anything connected to the flywheel (or gear's coupler), you shouldn't have any issues...

Hi makomark
thanks so much for the prompt reply.
I am very aware of all you suggested but cannot find a wiring diagram to work out which wires I need to put a switch and starter button on.
I believe it is the purple and 2 others in the 10 pin female connector but would like to be 100% sure.
If anyone can help here or point me to a wiring diagram I would really appreciate it.
thanks in advance.
David

.... as well as often trashing the innards (diodes usually) of the alternator itself....

Hi all from here in Down Under with my first post.
I have just finished building 2 x NEW engines and want to start them on the stands I made before having them fitted back into my boat.
Is there a simple but safe way of doing this without having to employ a Marine Mechanic with a control panel or whatever they use.
Surely it is not that hard with the correct instructions and wiring.
Yes they are 100% complete and are fuel injected models.
thanks in advance for any help
David

David, here are a few simple steps and measures to take:

NOTE: If you have not yet set/adjusted your cam followers, I would suggest using the 8 stop static procedure! (not the 2 or 3 stop!)
If you use the 8 stop procedure, you will not need to go back through them dynamically.
(if you need instructions, post back)

Ditto the suggestion of a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Supply water...... but DO NOT over pressurize the seawater pump.

Assuming that each engine has been fitted with the OEM engine harnesses:

Power the engine harness just as the boat's hull harness would.
Excite the ignition system and the alternator field just as the boat's hull harness would.

Excite the ignition system and fuel pump.
Excite the starter motor solenoid circuit.
Once up and running, you will adjust your ignition spark lead.

NOW...... DO NOT be tempted to run these engines for any long duration!
You need to get them installed so that you can "load" them for proper piston ring seating.
If this opportunity is missed, there is NO going back!

Good luck..... and have fun!

Hi all
I figured it out.
Wire 3 pins on your 10 pin plug.
(pin 6) Red is battery, (pin 5) Purple is ignition and (pin 7) Yellow is solenoid.
I set up a simple switch and momentary button (starter) and supplied 12 volts to the Purple and bridged the Red and Yellow.
This was of course after checking everything again and again. Supplied water and fuel and she started straight away.
On to the next engine.
thanks for all your help
David

Back