Logo

Chrysler 318 Help, please. Not starting.

Bjmusn

Sorry if this is a repeat but I'm not seeing my post from yesterday.

Just bought 66 houseboat with two 318 inboards. Only working on one engine at the moment. Getting it to pop/backfire through carb has actually been a success. Replaced all ignition components. Good spark from each plug. Thinking it is a firing order issue? Have been a little confused by differences between what I've read online and what's in manual. I've tried both firing orders from manual and think I have found the #1 on distribtor, which happens to be 180 degrees opposite from all the images I've seen. Found #1 by putting paper towel in #1 cylinder plug hole and turned engine till it popped out. Marked spot where rotor was pointing and was about where a man made mark had been placed on harmonic balancer lined up with 0 degrees. Tired both firing orders from there. Now from my understanding to get a few things confirmed and avoid confusion. The number one cylinder is furthest forward and on port side. So, far front left if I'm sitting on the outdrive looking at flywheel? And engine rotation is determined by direction of flywheel? The pulleys move clockwise looking at them, so the flywheel would be going counter? If looking at it. And the distrbutor turns clockwise, fyi.

Part of my confusion and wondering if I should be following the M-318 manual I purchased is that the ID plate does not match anything I've read about in manual, forum, or online, The plate reads 'Model: 318BDL Type: 339 Serial 96322. Many things done' t match perfect in manual with engine layout so I'm hoping I don't have some odd firing order and/or cylinder numbering.

Tanks, appreciate any help!

Back