Logo

Evinrude lower fin cover needed

devodad

Hello out there, I have a 9.5 hp 1964 evinrude outboard on my 14' fishing pontoon. I went to change out the lower unit lube and found that it has a crack and all the lube leaked out. I'm looking for some advice. This lowest "fin" cover has a OEM part number of 378595. It seems to be the same part number for the '64 and the '65 models. I'm wondering if anyone out there might be able to tell me where I might find a replacement, or if there are other part numbers that would match the same cover. Or, if it might be repairable and how. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I don't know what you're speaking of when you mention "cover". The extreme portion of the lower unit is called the "skeg". It is a matched part to the upper portion of the lower unit, and as such, a skeg from another lower unit would be a mismatch. You cannot buy the "skeg" alone, it requires a purchase of the entire gearcase housing.

Now, if that is the "skeg" you're speaking of, it's aluminum of course. Take it to a machine shop and have them heli-arc (aluminum weld) that crack for you.

I don't know what you're speaking of when you mention "cover". The extreme portion of the lower unit is called the "skeg". It is a matched part to the upper portion of the lower unit, and as such, a skeg from another lower unit would be a mismatch. You cannot buy the "skeg" alone, it requires a purchase of the entire gearcase housing.

Now, if that is the "skeg" you're speaking of, it's aluminum of course. Take it to a machine shop and have them heli-arc (aluminum weld) that crack for you.

Im really not up on the terminology. That lower fin looks like it screws onto the upper portion (gear case housing?) so I thought I might be able to just pick that part up. If that's not available separately I think you have a great idea about having it welded. Thanks for your time and reply. I'll take it to a nearby welding shop. Thanks again!

Back