Logo

Hurth ZF output seal leaking

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
1995 ZF63C/HSW63IV coupled to Crusader 454XL (1000 hrs) in a 1995 Trojan 350 Express. Just removed port engine for re-build. After re-installing engine and gear box after rebuild, did sea trials and NO leaks. After three days, I checked for leaks and noticed ATF under V-Drive out put seal. Questions: Can a seal be replaced with V-drive in boat? I will haul boat to move shaft, but I don't want to remove engine again. Also, any thoughts on using
ATP At 205 or like product for a temporary fix??

Bummer on the leak.....If you had somebody overhaul the gear, I'd be inclined to ask them about the leak...

You can change the seal in the boat if you can get to it.....not knowing the cause would suggest caution in guessing at the fix.... there is no magic in a bottle that works as a temporary fix...

I did the rebuild myself. The v-drive was not touched except to remove and replace it and a little paint touch up. I looked in my ZF gear box manual, and it looks like I have to pull the vdrive apart in half. If that's the case, gotta pull engine again (wife will not be happy) if I can replace seal just by removing coupler, I can do it in the boat.

Cause is unknow, when replacing shaft (twice) did I hit/knick seal?? Don't think so. Shaft is straight and alignment is perfect. When doing paint touch up did I get paint on seal?? maybe

got it - gear wasn't touched but for the paint....

I'm pretty sure you don't have to open up the housing to change the seal - getting to it is gonna be the tough part....a bit unusually in that the leak was 'delayed'....how bad is it leaking and are you sure its the ouput shaft seal?

MakoMark,
Thanks for helping. Just about positive its the output seal on the coupler side of drive. I slid a oil absorbant pad between coupler flange and seal. leaking for sure. I have read and re-read service manual (You sent me manual years ago) I keep seeing where you have to open housing and remove gears to replace seals. There is a shop near by that will fix it, 4-6 weeks out. At $25.00 day on hard, I see new gear boxes for around $3k. Hurth/ZF 63C/HSW63 lV SER # 17 11358

I don't think its essential to separate the cases - just easier....if you're gonna bite the bullet, I'd suggest getting them to renew all the seals while its out....

Just ordered a seal kit. Im gonna do it myself. Will replace all seals and gaskets. Its one of those "a nickel part is going to cost a dollar" The seal kit was $100.00. By time I pay for haul out, lay days, and boom truck, it will be a $ a grand!! I will let you know when all done. It will be a couple weeks, got a lot on the plate now.

i know exactly what you mean.....the 'short haul' concept around here borders on criminal.....but, when everybody decides to get greedy, you pays or you sit on the couch....

good luck!!

Still have not gotten to the seal project. We are now dealing with a tropical storm and rain for ever. No boating anyway. maybe after the forth of July I will get the Trojan hauled. Until then, its the pontoon boat for our boating fun!!!!

Just a little update on the leaking seal. I went to a local Hurth/ZF dealer and he said he would reseal the v-drive for $1000.00. After banging the net, I called a Hurth/ZF dealer in Alabama and drove over there yesterday.. Very nice clean professional operation. They ordered a new complete V-drive for 2 grand. shipping tax out the door. Will let yall know when haul out and replacement happens. hopefully in a couple weeks!!

I have a haul out scheduled for this Wednesday. I hope to be back in the water Friday with new V-drive and manifolds and elbows. Its lookn like we might get some boating in this summer after all!!

I pulled the boat this morning. Boom truck was right on time and got the engine and V-drive pulled out of boat by noon. Took old v drive off, put new one on and had engine and new v-drive back in boat before the yard personal knocked off. tomorrow I will button everything up and I have a 1200 launch Friday. So far, so good. Just hot as crap here. Over 100 and no shade in a boat yard!!!! Don't think that first beer this afternoon didn't taste good!

DONE!!!! Got boat home. One little issue. ATF in bilge. The crush ring on the pressure sender was CRUSHED. got new one and all is fine. Going boating today and we will be back Monday maybe Tuesday! I will reseal old vdrive this winter and either keep it or list it

Back