Logo

Vibration from mount failure or timming issue

Tittan

Is there an easy way to tell if vibration is caused by mount failure or a timing issue.

On a separate issue may or may not be related....
the manual has the firing order as shown however the firing order on the boat is as shown in red
firing order.jpg Inkedfiring order_2.jpg
same sequence just different locations (out by one counter clockwise) on the distributor cap...

here's a link to the engine run;
https://youtu.be/-E5fI4-lPs4

I appreciate all feed back.

So i gave it a whirl all sparks are good, still rough, so this may be a dumb question but I don't remember my last boat vibrating or the motor shaking the boat is there going to be vibrations.

Ayuh,.... It's skippin', 'n stumblin', not runnin' smoothly,.... also idlin' high,....

It should idle dead smooth at 650/ 750 rpms,.... no surging,..

bring it up to TDC......., pull the cap off and look where the rotor is pointing. that is number one. (if you did not pull the distributor). even if you did, and it is at TDC, but pointing in a different location, that is ok, just put number one wire in that location, and continue with the firing order. is does not matter where the rotor is pointing when it is at TDC. just sync the firing order with that location.a lot of people will say that the rotor has to "point to number one". they get that confused with number one location of where you want number one wire at on the distributor. the distributor could care less where it is pointing, as long as it is firing the correct plug.

unless you had a cam change the firing order should be stamped on the intake manifold. Remove plug #1, rotate motor till its about 45 degrees from the ) mark. Put finger over plug hole and seal it 99%, turn motor over - if a firm stream of air is pushing past finger you are on the compression stroke - rotate to 0 mark and make sure distributor rotor is pointing at the wire for that plug.

If no air you are on the exhaust stroke - rotate crank 180 degrees and repeat the finger test - turn till on 0, check rotor is pointing to where the #1 plug lead goes on cap.

Back