Logo

1977 115HP 115TXL77S Thermostat Housing Correct Assembly

nicklanigan

Contributing Member
Hi all, just want to check I have assembled the thermostat housing correctly - mine was in very very poor state upon removal with a number of the gaskets missing.

My assembly appears to align to the parts diagram - my query is really about the "cork" gasket for the thermostat - do I have it in the right place? I've seen a reference where they seem to have the cork gasket on top of the thermostat instead - it really didn't fit particularly well in that position.

There is another standard gasket that goes over the whole top surface here and mates with the exhaust adapter housing - removed to show the cork gaskets under the thermostats.

Thanks so much,

Nick.

20170531_153759.jpg

Nick... Apparently you're put the cork gasket between the thermostat and the plastic/nylon housing as "Boobie" states. It looks good to go to me.

A word of advice........ Install the gaskets (with the sealing compound) on the housing assembly as I see it here, then tie the assembly together with tie straps, twist ties, rubber bands, string, (whatever) to keep it together while you're trying to install/start threading those three screws.

After the three screws are started in the threads, you can then cut the retaining ties.

I've found that saves a lot of aggravation.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe.

I had seen one of your previous posts to someone else about using the sealing compound to help hold it all together, but the zip ties would have been even more helpful (I've already reinstalled it).

I had the powerhead off which makes access somewhat easier (the lower cowl can be loosened off a bit as well to move it by and inch or so).

Still, not an easy housing to get back on the motor.

Thanks for the tips.

Nick.

I realize that this is an old thread but the above picture is good and I thought maybe someone might still look at. The question I have is: What holds the thermastat in place other than the gasket. The above assembly mounts to the engine but only places pressure aound the perimeter, there is not really a hole cutout for the thermostat, its just an empty cavity. Thanks in advance.

Back