Logo

Some help with a '88 50hp

bobbfrommn

Hi all,
Looking for a little troubleshooting help here. I bought a pontoon with a 1988 50HP Merc on it. Ran fine when I tested it but have had a couple things occurring I'd like to run past more knowledgeable people. I've done some searching but I'm not sure if I'm searching for the right things. I know motorcycle engines, not outboards :) It breaks down to two things happening.

#1: I can cruise around trolling with it for over 30 minutes with no issues. Suddenly it will just die. It will start back up with a little coaxing and then I can shoot back to the dock at medium speed without issue. After sitting it will start and run without a problem at the dock (at low RPM) and I can go back out. Two things of note here: A) I did have water in the gas I think, and I'm pretty sure I've got it all out (new tank, fresh gas) but it has happened since the switch. B) I discovered the gas tank vent was only open about 1/4. I know this will cause a vac lock but do you think this would be the cause of the killing?

#2: At WOT I get a steady alarm beep. I think I found this is an overheat error. However it only happens at full speed, if I cut back to just under full it shuts off pretty much immediately. It will do it even when first leaving the dock and the engine isn't that warm and it never does it at low RPMs. Do you think this is a sensor error or an actual over heat? Is there a way to troubleshoot and figure it out?

Thanks!
Bob

Back