Logo

Orphaned FD - 16 Round 2, gear case problems

AllenH59

After an adventure getting the engine to run, I tackled the problem of it not pumping water. As I said while discussing engine problems, this engine was orphaned by 2 guys who could not get it running. When it finally ran, it pumped water out the channel behind the prop, indicating that it was not pumping water up. I removed the gear case, and I think the tube that takes water from the pump to the head was not in the grommet, therefore not sending water up. There was a brand new impeller in the pump. The vertical shaft from the head to the gear case was somewhat scored in the area of the seal below the pump, and the oil was white. Tomorrows part of the adventure is to take the prop off and split the the gear case, and see how bad things are . I can polish out the problem on the vertical shaft if it is the worst thing, and change bearings and seals as required. Hopefully there is not a problem with the gears. I have seen a few tutorials on line, but any advice would be appreciated. I have a reasonably complete shop, with a good sized lathe and mill, and as far as I know, every tool available. Thanks.

After an adventure getting the engine to run, I tackled the problem of it not pumping water. As I said while discussing engine problems, this engine was orphaned by 2 guys who could not get it running. When it finally ran, it pumped water out the channel behind the prop, indicating that it was not pumping water up. I removed the gear case, and I think the tube that takes water from the pump to the head was not in the grommet, therefore not sending water up. There was a brand new impeller in the pump. The vertical shaft from the head to the gear case was somewhat scored in the area of the seal below the pump, and the oil was white. Tomorrows part of the adventure is to take the prop off and split the the gear case, and see how bad things are . I can polish out the problem on the vertical shaft if it is the worst thing, and change bearings and seals as required. Hopefully there is not a problem with the gears. I have seen a few tutorials on line, but any advice would be appreciated. I have a reasonably complete shop, with a good sized lathe and mill, and as far as I know, every tool available. Thanks.

???What channel behind the prop? Are you saying water is coming out the exhaust outlet? It should. OK, next question is how did you see that? Are you trying to run it on muffs? Yeah, I know, some people manage to do that, but it isn't supposed to work on muffs. Besides, you cannot test a water pump on muffs. You could take the impeller completely out and water would still circulate (from the hose pressure)

Put it in a barrel of water five inches above the cavitation plate and water should spray our the exhaust relief half way up the leg when the thermostat opens. The head should quickly get hot enough you want to pull your hand away but dont have to for a slow count to six.

it is exhausting water right above the prop, I had it running in a bucket, it got pretty warm, and I shut it down, the water was coming from the cavity around the outside of the pump, however, it is the water in the gear oil that I am concerned about now, the engine cooling problems are an easy fix. I will change the seal below the pump, and have a look at the gears to see if they are scored too... I will remove the thermostat, and pump water from below to confirm that the channel is open, I will boil the thermostat to confirm it does open, and assemble it correctly to ensure water goes where it should. I have polished the shaft where it went through the seal below the pump, it took .005" to clean it up.

Sounds like a plan. And when you test it again, put it in the water. From what you said, you didn't have it anywhere near deep enough.

So, I had a bit of time to do some investigating,(the gear set looks fine) I removed the thermostat, and put the pump body in, so I could blow air up into the engine. I put a bit of soapy water down the thermostat hole, and the bypass hole, and the only hole I got bubbles out of was the bypass hole ( the one that lets hot water go around the thermostat) Is there anything (like vinegar) that you can pour into the holes to remove a blockage? I am pretty sure there is a blockage, as the even when I blow air into the cavity for the thermostat, there is no bubbles blowing out the bottom... Ideas would help, thanks

If there is any blockage, it usually is in the head gasket area. This sometimes happens in a motor used in salt water. Pull the cylinder head and scrape it out. However it could also be a piece of rubber somewhere else from an old disintegrated impeller.

Back