Logo

Thunderbolt IV

fiberarm

Anyway to test the thunderbolt IV? I don't have any spark but, 12 volts going into the ignition module and 11 volts leaving when I turn on the key.

yup....search on "troubleshooting thunderbolt iv ignition flowchart" ad you'll find most everything needed...

Thanks Makomark . turns out the ignition module is ok(Whew--$500 part). The problem was in the shift cut-off switch. some wires/connector were being pinched when I installed the shift mechanism against the valve covers. On to the next problem...lots of noise in the back-end...Looks like some metal shavings around the shaft in the back of engine...I guess I'm pulling the engine to get to it and replace.:confused:

sounds like an I/O installation.....could be the coupler is shot due to poor maintenance......if this is a mercruiser, posting on that board will get you more responses....I'd pull the drive first and see what the end of the shaft looks like...

On to the next problem...lots of noise in the back-end...Looks like some metal shavings around the shaft in the back of engine...I guess I'm pulling the engine to get to it and replace.

Ayuh,.... Pull the Drive 1st,.... Then the motor,.....

Goin' back in,... Set the motor,.... Align the gimbel to coupler,.... Slap on the drive,....

Back