Logo

help removing propshaft.

Hey guys I am trying to remove my prop shaft to check the clutch dog for wear on the lobes but it seems to be stuck. Any idea what could be holding it inside? the engine is a 2013 merc 40hp 4 stroke
.IMG_5977.jpg

Smarty!

I use the prop as a puller. Stick thin plywood between the prop and housing, then tighten the prop nut. You have to be creative with spacers and additional plywood pieces to get the shaft out.

Jeff

i got the puller & the carrier came out with little force but the propshaft is still stuck. I believe the shift rod is holding it so have to remove LU to pull up shift rod. Their is very little wear on the gears & clutch dog. i saw the reason why i was ratcheting when shifting into reverse it's because the lobes on the gear are sloped so if u dont shift quickly it would just slip. I notice the forward gear lobes are alot different their sloped so if the prop will hit something clockwise it will slip out which is a good design by mercury. anyways i'll keep u posted when fully inspect everything.

IMG_6028.jpgIMG_6027.jpg

I'm confused (and what else is new!) The prop shaft comes out the back with everything but the forward gear (which is the one in front). The pinion gear has to be removed to get the forward gear out.

Jeff

I got the lower unit off but cannot get a wrench to the pinion nut cuz the clutch dog is in the way. Their must be a special tool for this? or I may need to get one welded?
IMG_6041.jpg

i am having the same problem with my 2013 4 stroke 115hp cant get the prop shaft out from the forward gear. I hit a rock and pushed in the front of the bottom end very slightly. Have removed bottom end and shifter rod, reverse gear and carrier but cant get the prop shaft out. I could remove pinion gear however it would not allow me to remove it as the prop shaft clutch will be in the way and not allow me to pull the prop shaft and forward gear out as one unit.
If the prop shaft is supposed to come out from the forward gear without much effort i will assume there is something damaged behind the forward gear not allowing the prop shaft to be removed.
I have tried about everything but force unless there is a special way to remove the prop shaft

Need help form someone please before freeze up here in Canada

Back