Logo

Can't shift into Neutral - HELP

wiredgizmo

Hi, I have a big problem and looking for any help!

Not mechanically inclined at all so please excuse any bad descriptions here.

I just purchased a boat. 02 Chaparral 220 ssi with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL. Not certain what drive it is, but is is duoprop F 4. Boat drove fine when I went to purchased it. Few days after purchase, lunching boat, I felt shifting from forward to reverse was pretty stiff, but didn't think much about it. After a 10min drive and going to beach it, I realized I couldn't get it into neutral/reverse.

Did some quick research and read somewhere to have someone spin the prop while trying to shift. It worked somewhat, I can get it back into neutral with the boat off. Once I turn the engine on, I can either go into forward or reverse, but it won't go back into neutral afterwards. So if I decide to go forward, I can, but I can't get it back to neutral, I can get it to be really slow though.
Same for reverse, I would turn off the engine, do the spin prop/jerk throttle back and forth until it goes to neutral. Then shift to reverse and it drives fine in reverse, I just can't get it back to neutral/forward.

After doing the spin prop/jerk throttle to neutral, I can press the button to go back and forth in neutral fine.

I took it to a shop and they checked the drive oil and said its kind of low and most likely the problem. The problem is, they can not remove the inner (forward?) prop. They said they sprayed it with a lot of carb clearns and such and tried prop puller and still can't do it. The last resort now is to cut the inner prop and replace it.

My concern is, is it the gear oil that is the problem? New forward prop is $700+ and labor is another $700, I don't want to go through it if it is not certain it is the problem. Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Back