Logo

92 Seaswirl OMC 5.0 302 Ford Engine Stalls when when given full throttle from idle

pgrant1964

Hi there,

New to the forum today and recently picked up the boat about 4 weeks ago. When we test drove it, it stalled when taking off from idle. I've owned and rebuilt many car and boat engines but this one has me perplexed. The carb was in very bad shape, rusted and corroded, so I soaked it in chem tool, and blew out all the orifices with compressed air and put a new rebuild kit on it. I also replaced the plugs, fresh wire set with 8.5mm wires and installed a new HEI distributor with built in coil. Runs better, but still will stall randomly when pulling a skier out of the water or just taking off fast from an idle. Replaced the fuel filter, cleared the line, before hooking back up to the rebuilt carb and checked the fuel pump and changed the oil. With the spark resistor off the top of the carb and manually opening up the throttle plates (2 barrel Holley 2300) it sounds like the engine is gasping for air. It seemed once like it backfired when revving it up quickly too. Timing light says 10 degrees BTDC at idle. The accelerator pump on the carb is squirting streams of fuel into both barrels nice and consitently. Also put fresh gas and techron additive for grins before the carb rebuild. The strange thing is the engine doesn't always stall. Read on another forum that it could be the PCV valve? Vacuum leak? (where?) Any suggestions from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated. Have the SELOC OMC Stern Drives Repair Manual, but there's not much in there when it comes to symptoms and troubleshooting.

Thanks folks!

Did you ever figure this out ?

Hi there,

New to the forum today and recently picked up the boat about 4 weeks ago. When we test drove it, it stalled when taking off from idle. I've owned and rebuilt many car and boat engines but this one has me perplexed. The carb was in very bad shape, rusted and corroded, so I soaked it in chem tool, and blew out all the orifices with compressed air and put a new rebuild kit on it. I also replaced the plugs, fresh wire set with 8.5mm wires and installed a new HEI distributor with built in coil. Runs better, but still will stall randomly when pulling a skier out of the water or just taking off fast from an idle. Replaced the fuel filter, cleared the line, before hooking back up to the rebuilt carb and checked the fuel pump and changed the oil. With the spark resistor off the top of the carb and manually opening up the throttle plates (2 barrel Holley 2300) it sounds like the engine is gasping for air. It seemed once like it backfired when revving it up quickly too. Timing light says 10 degrees BTDC at idle. The accelerator pump on the carb is squirting streams of fuel into both barrels nice and consitently. Also put fresh gas and techron additive for grins before the carb rebuild. The strange thing is the engine doesn't always stall. Read on another forum that it could be the PCV valve? Vacuum leak? (where?) Any suggestions from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated. Have the SELOC OMC Stern Drives Repair Manual, but there's not much in there when it comes to symptoms and troubleshooting.

Thanks folks!

Back