Logo

Adjusting shifting cables

pulp

Hi !

I´m trying to readjust the shifting cables in my boat.
This is what I´m working with:
IMG_02942.jpg

The red cables goes to the outboard, the black cables comes from the handle.
I already tried disconnecting the cables and adjusting them one by one. First I adjusted the red cable, so it would engages into both gears smoothly. Then I added the other cable accordingly. It worked dry on land with another person turning the prop, but when I took it to the lake and under enginge power it didn´t engage into gears anymore. But you could hear that it was close.
I did not play with the two sensors/buttons . But I understand that one kills the engine (lowers RPM) and the other ones overrides that.

I´m out of ideas.
Is there a steplist how to adjust the whole thing ?

Can anyone help me ?

Attachments

• IMG_02942.jpg
    IMG_02942.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 128
Google HASTINGS OMC Cobra shifting or something like that. He will have write ups on the correct procedure to adjusting shifting. In the end, the bottom trunion is adjusted first to get Foreward, and then the 7/16 slotted nut is adjusted to get reverse. But follow the HASTING instructions and that should help you out.

Also, the button facing bow should be pressed when in gear to jump out RPM interruptor so it cant false trigger when running. The button facing stern should trigger when coming out of gear with pressure on Prop. This allows the RPM to scramble for the gears to smoothly disengage

Last edited:
the previous owner of my boat changed his cables and never could get the shift timing set correctly. he thought it was due to too much slack in the new cables...

after i got it home I tried and found there was not enough throw in the cable to make it from full reverse to full forward.... upon looking at the shift lever at the helm, i found another other holes on the lever that the end of the cable could be attached to, so I dropped it down to the lower hole and had plenty of throw to make both gears easily... I switched it to the center hole on the helm lever and got it perfect...

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I would recommend reading the HASTINGS instructions and making sure it is correct. As long as the gears come out smooth you may be ok, but improper shifting will cause the gear in the lower to wear. Good luck

Back