Logo

1979 15 hp Johnson Prop Selection and Idle Setting

Bandogge

Sorry if this is a repost the first didn't seem to go through.
Ok Guys, 2 part question. I have a recently acquired 1979 15 hp Johnson. I've had it on the water a few times and it seems to perform pretty well. I'm pushing a 14" aluminum V-hull with 2 grown men and all the fishing amenities and she's doing at least 20 mph. The RPM's do seem a little low though. I'm running the prop I bought the motor with which is a 9 1/2 x 10.
That leads me to question no.1. Is that a good prop for this application? As I said, I am getting good performance (as far as I'm concerned) RPM's seem a little low but that's not necessarily a bad thing is it?
Question no.2 refers to the pic I posted with this. Why do I have to adjust my idle in past the obvious stopping point? As you can see in the pick, it's adjust to the point where the guide is riding up on the threads. While the motor idles fine at this adjustment, it does seem excessive. Is there a fix for or a need to fix this?
Note: I checked the butterfly and it does close and open all the way when the throttle is worked forward and back.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMAG0863.jpg
    IMAG0863.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 135
Back