Logo

2006 350MAG MPI Base Timing

WESHAFER

I had to replace my distributor, I marked everything as best I could. The engine does start right up and seems to run pretty well after the replacement.
I located an engine wire harness connector labeled "Diagnostic / depth-finder". It is a four pin connector.
My questions;
How do I disable the electronic timing advance to set base timing?
I'm guessing that since there is only a TDC mark on the timing cover, the timing needs to be set at "0 deg's"??
Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!!
Respectfully, WES

Ayuh,.... I think you'll find there is no settin' the base timin' on that motor,...

Ya just stab the distributor somewhat close, 'n the 'puter takes over from there,.....

Wow... I figured Mercruiser would be a bit more exact....
We cruise the Ohio River at speed for extended periods of time, just don't want to cause any pre-detonation cylinder damage.

Same on my GM truck....drop distributor in as close as possible and forget it....

I would think the timing mark is to set number one cyl on top dead center and then install dist. With rotor pointing as close as possible to number 1 plug wire/terminal....

Last edited:
Same on my GM truck....drop distributor in as close as possible and forget it....

I would think the timing mark is to set number one cyl on top dead center and then install dist. With rotor pointing as close as possible to number 1 plug wire/terminal....

That's is exactly what I did.
I do know that I've, in the past working on many GM vehicles with the same distributor, disabling the electronic spark advance....
Figured MerCruiser would do the same....

Thanks Much

Back