Logo

Mercruiser 4.3L 262 1994 intermittent spark.

Steveevans

Hi

i have just finished rebuild my boat engine and am now trying to get her running.

The engine turns over and firer but run really rough. I have to keep the choke pretty much shut.

Today I attempted to set the timing using a timing light and notice the patten was irregular on cyinder 1. I attach the timing light between the coil and distributor and notice I was losing the spark after about 20 seconds It would sometimes come back and other time just stall the engine.

I disconnect the grey cable to the tact and the white / green from cut out switch and the same thing happened.

Anyone got got any ideas what could be causing this to happen?

How can can I test the ignition sensor ? coil? And the ignition module?

Its it's almost like something is shorting to earth causing the ignition module to shut down.

I thank you all in advance for your help

cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Check all your grounds on all electronics",mounting points" for bad contacts also. Check all wiring harnesses for security and possible corrosion inside

Check all your grounds on all electronics",mounting points" for bad contacts also. Check all wiring harnesses for security and possible corrosion inside

Thanks for you advice. I will try this tonight. If the kill cord connection was playing up would this cause the module not to spark?

Cheers

Steve

so today, I checked all the earthing point and the highest reading I got was 0.3ohms. I then disconnected the pulple wire from the ignition coil and installed a fused direct freed from the positive of the battery. (So, powered the ignition circuit direct). I am still getting intermittent spark from the coil to the distributor.

What would you guys check next?

Cheers

Steve

Back