Logo

New fuel gauge and sender, fuel gauge pegs to full

jasperr

Hello,

Recently I bought a new fuel gauge and sender.
In the shop they told me that the gauge and sender are good to use with each other with the resistance.

When I tested the sender, connected to the gauge it worked like it should.
Now installed when I turn my key the fuel gauge peggs over full.
I think it's a problem with my ground connection.

My gauge has 3 connections,
- ignition
- ground
- sender

The ignition is connected to my ignition cable behind the key.
The ground is connected to my ground cable begind the key.
The sender is connected to the center bolt of my fuel sender.

My sender has 2 connections,
- The center bolt is connected to my sender connection on the gauge.
- A bolt on the side connected to my negative ground of my battery.

When I connect the gauge only with my ground and ignition the gauge stays empty so the gauge should be good.
The sender I tested manualy before the installation and it worked also.

Inside the cork washer of the fuel sender is a metal staple to connect my center bolt to my ground, I think this is the problem but I don't know how I should properly connect this if this should be the problem.

Regards,

Jasper

When key is turned on gauge is supposed to peg at full,after starting engine needle should show proper reading,sending unit needs to be grounded, gasket under sender insulates sender from tank,no metal to metal connection, Should be a male terminal connection on sender

I don't believe the "metal staple" is necessary or desired....remove it and try again....based on your description of what was done, I'm inclined to think the staple is your problem....if the gauge stays at "full" when the key is on AFTER the staple is removed, try running a 'new' sender wire, from the sender to the gauge....try it temporarily at first....

Back