Logo

Mariner 5hp throttle drum

Hi guys, my 4 stroke mariner 5hp circa 2008 maybe? The throttle twist rotates and it is connected at the drum end but the throttle linkage to the carb does not move. The drum is split into two parts, a top piece which connects via rod to the carb, the lower piece which the cables connect to. For the life of me I cannot see what stops the upper and lower half from slipping as it currently does. I have looked closely and cannot see a pin or dog snapped off, it just seems to butt together.

According to the parts diagram I found attached, items 29 and 31 have nothing in between.

Hoping you can please help!

Thanks in advance.Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 13.37.58.jpg

Umm...... I think I found it. There is a slot in the upper half which looks like it is meant to accommodate a dog or a pin providing lost motion. Obviously the original lower part used to have a dog which seems to have sheared so cleanly as to have not left any evidence. I will drill a small hole and insert a tiny screw to see if that holds.

Hi Courageous. This is so funny, but I just submitted the same question about my Tohatsu 5HP throttle drum. After much consternation on my part, a neighbor pointed out that the tab on the drum had sheared off cleanly as well, just like yours did!

Did you ever drill a small hole and insert a tiny screw? If so, did it work?

Back