Logo

BF9.9: Water out Exhaust Idle

jhock

Haven't found this exact scenario posted here, so I thought I'd ask.

Launched my sailboat with a BF9.9 (2000) and the indicator was not "peeing," however, water was spitting out the idle exhaust port and pouring out at increased RPM. I guessed that it was probably plugged and a bit of wire proved that to be true.

Now water pees out the indicator properly at idle and shoots fairly forcefully at max throttle. However, I am still getting a spray of water out the idle exhaust port at higher throttle levels (which never happened before). I let it run a while at idle hoping it was just waterlogged somewhere. Upon throttling up there was a bit of steam followed again by a slight spray of water (water was coming out of the indicator quite well this entire time). Exhaust bubbles are clearly coming out of the main exhaust underwater at higher throttles. The motor ran well and after running it a while I checked the oil and it is not milky/foamy.

Should I be concerned? Did the clogged indicator tube break a seal somewhere and that is the reason that water is coming out of the exhaust now? It is hard to reconstruct the path of the cooling water from the parts diagrams.

You may have just never noticed it before. The water out of the exhaust relief is normal, especially at higher speeds.

Plugging up the water telltale does nothing and does no harm ....except to raise your blood pressure if you are out in the middle of nowhere with no wind.

Mike

Thanks so much! I accidentally posted this twice, was going to delete one, but do not see a way to. Either way, comforting that I got the same advice from two different people! I definitely never noticed the water before, but I also am rarely looking at the backside of the motor while it is revved up. I appreciate the reassurance.

Back