Logo

Old OMC Sterndrive tilt motor

JoJo 53

Hi folks--I'm New to the forum--I have five boats, motors and all the sh t that goes along with it--I always have some sort of boating problem. I have a 1971 Fiberform with an OMC Sterndrive and a tilt motor that has given me fits for the last 45 years. I have probably put 5 motors in and rebuilt the clutch case several times. It's acting up again. Has anyone abandoned the old tilt system and installed something else to get the outdrive to go up and down. I've actually run the boat with the present system disabled and it does fine until you need to go in and lift the outdrive..Seems to me some smart guy should have figured something out by now--like hydraulic rams or even a manual system. Thanks in advance for any ideas and listening to my tale of misery.

I replaced a couple motors on mine. I haven't had an issue with the clutch case (knock on wood). I didn't realize that there was supposed to be a gasket between the lift motor and the intermediate assembly. I got the gasket and sealed it. That was at the beginning of this season so I don't know yet if that was the difference. The previous 2 motors failed from water infiltration.

Also the lift motor I got this time from the link below seemed to be sealed a lot better than the previous ones I've purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OMC-Til...0-1965-PT200NM-TRM0007-430-20002/152218520583

I did experiment with trying to move the motor to a remote (higher) location, however due to space constraints was unable to come up with a reliable system. I'm sure with enough time and effort I could have come up with something, but then the boat would never get in the water. :)

Good Luck!

Back